There are times when you start your computer but the screen remains all black. Most Windows users report the same issue. If your computer turns on but no display is shown then you can fix this issue with basic troubleshooting steps. Therefore, in this blog, you will discover a number of ways to solve this error on your computer.
6 Ways to Fix the Problem When the Computer Turns On But No Display on Monitor
No matter if you use Dell or HP laptop. If your computer automatically turns on when plugged in but no display is shown then you can implement numerous troubleshooting steps which are as follows:
- Check the Monitor
- Ensure that the Computer is Restarted Completely
- Reconnect Your Computer to Monitor
- Disconnect the Peripherals
- Reinstall the RAM
- Reset BIOS Settings to Default
These are the six types of ways through which you can fix the monitor issue when it shows a blank screen. Let us go through these methods one by one.
Fix 1: Check the Monitor
When the computer turns on but no video display is shown then the first thing you can do is check your monitor. Before applying hard troubleshooting steps, you need to check if the monitor is working properly. To do so, you can test the power light of the monitor and make sure it is turned on. In case, you find the power light off then you should remove the power adapter and connect it again. Yet if you find no response on your monitor then you can switch the next step.
Fix 2: Ensure that the Computer is Restarted Completely
In the next method, you need to make sure that your computer restarts properly. Sometimes your computer is in Sleep/Standby or Hibernate power-saving mode. This often does not allow your monitor to turn on. So if the Dell computer turns on but no display on monitor or keyboard is shown then you should check the computer if it is restarted completely. To do so, you can press the power button for around 5 seconds in order to power off your computer. Then, you can power on to check if your computer boots normally.
Fix 3: Reconnect Your Computer to Monitor
If your HP laptop computer turns on but no display is shown then this may happen due to the poor connection between your computer and monitor. In this scenario, you can simply reconnect the device to get rid of this error. For that, you can perform the following steps mentioned below.
- When your new computer turns on but no display is shown, you can press the power button and hold it until the computer is turned off.
- Next to this, you can remove the video cable that is connected to the monitor and the computer.
- After this, you can check your port connectors on the monitor and computer. If you find the connector damaged, you need to replace it.
- Thereafter, you can check the video cable. If it is damaged then you can replace it as well and then try connecting the devices with the help of a new cable.
- Once done, you can turn your PC on and check if it boots normally. If your monitor does not respond as expected then there may be other issues with the monitor. For that, you can move to the next step.
So if the Dell computer turns on but no display on monitor or keyboard is shown then you can follow the steps mentioned above and fix the error by reconnecting the computer to monitor.
Fix 4: Disconnect the Peripherals
Peripherals such as scanner, printer, mouse, and more that are connected to the computer might cause this blank screen error on your computer. If your new built computer turns on but no display is shown then you can try disconnecting all the peripherals. You can do the following to get the job done:
- First of all, you need to power off your computer by pressing the power button.
- Now, you can disconnect all the peripherals.
- After this, you can turn your computer on.
Doing so, if your PC boots correctly, it indicates that no peripherals are not causing the blank screen issue. To detect the issue, you can reinstall each device and check if it causes the issue. When you find the damaged device, you can replace it and boot your computer. So when your computer turns on but no display on monitor is shown, you can perform the aforementioned steps to get rid of this error.
Fix 5: Reinstall the RAM
Due to the poor connection between the motherboard and RAM, you might encounter this “computer turns on but no display” issue. If you are facing the same error then you may try reinstalling the RAM. Here is how to do it.
- Before you begin, you should turn your computer off by using the Power button.
- Then, from the power supply, you can remove the AC power cord and open the computer case.
- On the motherboard, you will see the RAM that you can remove from the memory slot.
- After this, you can put the RAM back to the memory slot.
- And then you can connect your AC power cord to a power supply and turn your computer on.
- As the last step, you can check if your computer boots normally.
When your computer automatically turns on when plugged in but no display is shown, you can follow the steps mentioned above. In case it does not respond then you can move to the next steps.
Fix 6: Reset BIOS Settings to Default
Wrong or incorrect BIOS settings might be the reason that you are facing this blank screen error. If you are thinking “my computer is turning on but no display is shown” then do not worry. You can solve this error by resetting the BIOS settings to the default setting. Below are the following steps that you can follow to reset BIOS settings.
- To begin, you need to press the power button to turn off your computer.
- Now, you can remove the AC power cord from your power supply and open the computer case.
- At this point, you are required to remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Make sure that you use a non-conductive screwdriver to remove the CMOS battery.
- After this, you need to wait around 5 minutes and then you can reinstall the CMOS battery.
- Then, you can connect your AC power cord to a power supply and turn your computer on.
By following these methods, you would surely get rid of the blank screen. Yet you see any issue, you can then perform other methods such as update your device driver, perform a hard reset, reseat the memory modules, and so on.
When your Dell computer turns on but no display on monitor or keyboard is shown then you can simply perform the troubleshooting steps one by one. For instance, you can check your monitor, reconnect the computer to monitor, disconnect peripheral, reinstall RAM, or reset the BIOS settings to default. By performing these troubleshoot steps, you can easily fix the error especially when the computer automatically turns on when plugged in but no display is shown.
Apart from this, we have prepared a curated guide on how to clear cookies on computer on a number of web browsers. Read here to know more.