For a problem like the Epson printer in error state, a multitude of factors can be responsible. Some of these factors can relate to faulty ink cartridges, lack of sufficient power supply, installation errors in the printer’s software, etc. The error state issue can also occur while you use your device with a Windows 10 computer or on models such as Epson WF 3640 Printer and Epson XP 410 Printer.
Your problem is too common and our fixes are too easy to apply. We know how to deal with this Epson printer problem in just the perfect ways. From the meaning and causes of this issue to its helpful fixes, you will find everything related to the error state of your Epson printer in this guide. Read further to get your device back to the error-free state.
The following will help in formulating an overview of this post:
- What Does Epson Printer is in Error State Mean?
- How to Fix Epson Printer in Error State?
- Fix 1: Run Windows Troubleshooter
- Fix 2: Ensure Ink Cartridges are Original
- Fix 3: Check & Remove Printhead Blockage
- Fix 4: Check Connections and Mend them
- Fix 5: Update Epson Printer Driver
- How to Fix Epson Printer in Error State in Windows 10?
- Fix 1: Resolve Hardware Problems
- Fix 2: Check Printer Connection & Restart
- Fix 3: Inspect Epson Printer for Jammed Paper
- Fix 4: Reboot Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
- FIx 5: Update Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
- Fix 6: Reinstall Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
- Fix 7: Restart Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
- Fix 8: Install Windows 10 Update
What Does Epson Printer is in Error State Mean?
The users of Epson printers should know that it is common for these devices to be in an error state due to some reasons. When this error turns up, you may not be able to proceed with your printing tasks. So, if you want to resume these tasks, you need to troubleshoot the error state of your Epson printer. Before you do that, it will be helpful to understand what is causing your Epson printer to be in an error state. In the upcoming section, we will look at the causes of this Epson printer problem.
Why is My Epson Printer is in an Error State?
For those of you who are thinking about why your Epson printer is in an error state, here we have identified the usual causes for the same. Have a look at these prior to knowing the appropriate way to fix it.
- There may be a problem with your printer’s software or its installation.
- Your Epson printer may have a hardware issue.
- Your device may not be turned on or properly connected to your system.
- There may be jammed bits of paper inside your printer.
- Using an incorrect ink cartridge for your device is the fifth cause of this problem.
- An inadequate power supply to your printer can leave it in an error state.
- Not only outdated but a corrupt printer driver can also result in an error state and cause other damages as well.
How to Fix Epson Printer in Error State?
This is the most awaited section of this blog. Here you will find out what to do when the Epson printer is in the error state. Usually, when your device experiences such a problem, we recommend using tools like Windows Troubleshooter to fix it. Additionally, you should check that the printer connections are fine, no jammed paper is present, and that the printer drivers are updated. Along with these fixes, proper sets of instructions have also been provided. Read them carefully to effectively deal with this Epson printer problem.
Fix 1: Run Windows Troubleshooter
The Windows Troubleshooter can help you troubleshoot a number of errors, including the error state of your Epson printer. To start this useful tool, you can open the Windows menu and click on Search. Here, you can write Printers and go through the results. You will be able to see certain devices that have been connected to your computer. After identifying your Epson printer model, you can right-tap on it and choose the option stating Troubleshoot. After that, you can rely on the tool to recognize the issue and settle it.
Learn the details for how to use the tool to fix this problem in 12 steps
1. In the Windows search bar, type “Printers” and press “Enter”.
2. Click on “Devices and Printers”.
3. A window showing a list of all the devices connected to your system will open up. Look for your Epson printer on this list.
4. Right-click on your Epson printer.
5. A dropdown menu will appear. Click on the option of “Troubleshoot”.
6. Wait for the tool to detect and kill the problem. In case your problem is not solved, move to the next step.
7. Open the “Start” menu on your Windows system.
8. Now, click on “Settings”.
9. Open the “Devices” section.
10. Next, click on “Printers & Scanners”.
11. On the list of printers and scanners, locate your Epson device. In case you can’t see your device, click on the button for “Add a printer or scanner”.
12. Windows will automatically detect your Epson printer and provide you with the instructions to install it. Follow these instructions to complete this process.
Tip for Readers: You will not be able to see your Epson device on the list of printers and scanners when it has not been connected to your Windows system. So, always ensure that it is on and has been connected to your system.
Fix 2: Ensure Ink Cartridges are Original
In the section of the causes, we told you that the Epson error state can very well be a result of not using the correct ink cartridges. That is why we will suggest you to ensure that the ink cartridges are not only original but also the ones recommended in the Epson printer manual. Not using the original ones will put your device in an error state and may cause further damage over time.
Fix 3: Check & Remove Printhead Blockage
Your Epson printer can be in an error state due to printhead blockage. This is the printer part that is important for carrying out printing operations. Therefore, keeping it in a condition free of blockages or dirt will be advised. To begin with the procedure, you can power off the device and take off the cover, When the printhead is on the left, your device can be started for getting a test page. The printed page will hint at whether or not the printhead is having any blockage. In case blockage is observed, you can rush to the Settings for using the Clean Printhead option.
We have provided 10 steps to check and remove the printhead blockage easily.
1. Turn off your Epson printer. It must be devoid of any power source.
2. Open the printer cover to access the printhead.
3. Slide the printhead towards the left.
4. Turn on your printer to print a test page and observe the colours that seem to be affected.
5. Then select “Tools” from the Control Panel of your Epson device.
6. Select the option of “Print quality”.
7. You may be prompted by the errors in the print quality report. Resolve these and press “Ok”.
8. Then open the “Menu”, select “Settings”, and press “Ok”.
9. From the “Tools” menu, select “Clean printhead” and press “Ok”.
10. The cleaning process will take some time. Afterwards, you can use your device normally.
Fix 4: Check Connections and Mend them
Lack of maintenance, loose connections in the hardware, or any cables not being properly connected may be the reason for your Epson printer being in an error state. Here are 5 great tips to help you ensure that the connections are proper and the maintenance is right.
1. Ensure the hardware has no loose connections.
2. The cable connecting the printer computer must not be loose.
3. The power cable must be properly connected to your Epson device and the power source.
4. When no wire is loose, it will be helpful to remove each wire and clean the dust.
5. For a wireless Epson printer, the router and other wireless connections should be proper.
When your Epson printer is in an error state, how to fix that problem may not seem difficult when you have such tips available to you.
Fix 5: Update Epson Printer Driver
When you have an out-of-date version of the Epson printer driver, your system will restrict you from using the printer. Here you can learn how to get your Epson printer out of the error state by updating the printer driver. Usually, the procedure to update begins by opening the Device Manager. This will display your Epson printer. You can right-click on the device to select the option to update its driver.
1. On your system’s keyboard, press the “Windows” key along with the “R” key to open “Run”.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Run box and press the “Enter” key to open the “Device Manager”.
3. Find your printer device here and right-click on it.
4. Click on “Update driver software” and a window will open.
5. Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Based on our findings, we can say that the fixes stated above should work in removing the error state. However, in case these fixes did not work, you may still be pondering how to fix the Epson printer in an error state now. The final resort then would demand you to connect with Epson Printer Support. Its team will put in its best efforts to eradicate the problem and bring your Epson printer out of the error state.
How to Fix Epson Printer in Error State in Windows 10?
If the error state of your Epson printer is bothering you on your Windows 10 system, then you can ensure that there are no issues with the hardware, printer connections, or the printer driver. Hardware problems, faulty connections, etc., can push your Epson printer to go into an error state. Working on these triggers, our fixes will aim to fix the issue for a long time. Now, we should scroll down and see what these fixes are.
Fix 1: Resolve Hardware Problems
Hardware problems can make an easy way for the Epson printer in an error state on Windows 10. We have 4 expert tips to help you prevent hardware problems.
1. A proper connection must be established between your Epson printer’s power cord and the electrical board.
2. Ensure that the USB cable is working and is properly connected to your Windows 10 system.
3. In case of a wireless Epson printer, the wireless network connection must be proper.
4. Always print a blank page to see that your device is working properly.
Keeping these tips in mind will ensure that the hardware-related issues get prevented in the future too.
Fix 2: Check Printer Connection & Restart
This fix involves checking a proper printer connection and then restarting it, if required. When the Epson printer has been connected properly to your Windows 10 system, there will be no physical problem with the connection. Once you are sure that there is no issue with the connection, you can restart your printer.
1. Turn off your Epson device.
2. Check the trays for any pieces of jammed paper.
3. Also, see that the ink levels are not low.
4. Now, turn on the device.
Note for Readers: If you have a wireless Epson printer, then restart both the modem and the device.
Fix 3: Inspect Epson Printer for Jammed Paper
Unexpected but possible, if your Epson printer is in an error state on Windows 10, a paper jam could be turning it up. Therefore, checking your printing device for jammed paper bits will be a suitable approach. To implement this approach, you can initially plug out your printer. After that, you can inspect its paper tray for any loose paper. Accompanied by this, you can inspect other parts of your Epson printer such as the paper roller and printhead area.
Here, we have also shown how to check and remove jammed paper from the Epson printer in 8 steps.
1. Plug out your Epson printer.
2. Ensure that the paper tray has no loose paper.
3. Now, remove the paper roller of your device.
4. Clean the paper roller gently with a clean cotton cloth and place it back.
5. Access the printhead of your Epson printer.
6. Move it towards the left and check that it moves without any obstructions.
7. Now, plug in your device and then restart it.
8. Print a test page to see that there is no jammed paper within.
Fix 4: Reboot Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
When you are using a Windows 10 computer and your Epson printer lands in an error state, rebooting can help resolve the trouble. Prior to rebooting the printer, you can halt every printing task. After this, you can save your work if needed and turn off your Windows 10 PC. Now, the rebooting process can be initiated. Eventually, you will be able to rescue your printer from the error state on Epson after the rebooting process is successful.
Below, you can learn how to perform this fix in 6 steps. These steps have been mentioned as follows.
1. Stop all the printing tasks from your computer
2. Shut down your Windows 10 system.
3. Cancel the printing tasks on your Epson printer and turn it off.
4. Now, reboot your system.
5. Also, power on your printing device.
6. Your printer will be out of the error state. Use it as usual.
FIx 5: Update Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
Your Windows 10 system may not have an updated Epson printer driver. An outdated driver can be a good cause for your printer to be in an error state. Thankfully, installing the latest version of the Epson printer driver on your system can save your device. While your Windows 10 system will automatically check for the latest Epson printer driver version, you can check it manually too. For manually checking it, you can go to the Taskbar from the Desktop. Using the Software Update option, you can get the recent version of the Epson printer driver.
The complete steps for this have been mentioned below.
1. Open the Windows “Desktop”.
2. Then in the Windows taskbar, you have to right-click the product icon.
3. Now, click on “Software Update”.
4. In the printer settings window, access the “Utility” tab.
5. Click on “Driver update”.
Note for Readers: As an alternative, you can update the Epson printer driver using the “Epson Software Updater” too. Press the “Start” button and you will find “Epson” or “Epson software program group”. The “Epson Software Updater” will be available here.
The Epson error state issue should hopefully stop emerging when the driver for the device has received the updates.
Fix 6: Reinstall Epson Printer Driver on Windows 10
For those of you who have an updated Epson printer driver on Windows 10, your device may still get into the error state mainly due to certain bugs in the driver. For this reason, you can reinstall the Epson printer driver on your system. You can run the Settings and locate Devices. Via this option, you can access Printers and Scanners. Make a selection for your printer model and remove it. Following this, you can install the drivers again.
Learn how to reinstall the driver for your printer in the error state in Epson on Windows 10 with this set of instructions.
1. Open the “Settings” on your Windows 10 computer.
2. Tap on “Devices” and then click on “Printers & Scanners”.
3. Select your Epson printer under the section “Printers & Scanners” and press the button “Remove device”. Then click on “Yes” to confirm.
4. Now, ensure that your Epson printer is on and connected to your system.
5. Open the “Settings” on your computer.
6. Click on “Devices”, then select “Printers & Scanners”, and tap “Add a printer or scanner”.
7. Choose “Add device” if you can see your Epson printer in the window. The driver will be installed by Windows.
8. If you can’t see your Epson printer in the window, choose “The printer that I want isn’t listed”. Then select “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” and click on “Next”.
9. Choose “Use an existing port”.
10. Choose USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB) from the dropdown list on the right and click on “Next”.
11. Go to the “Manufacturer” column and choose “EPSON”.
12. Select your device from the “Printers” column. If you can’t see your device, choose “Windows update”. When the list of printers has been updated, choose “Epson” from the “Manufacturer” column and your device from the “Printers” column.
13. Now click on “Next”.
14. Fill in the printer name and again click on “Next”.
15. Click on “Do not share this printer” and tap “Next”.
16. Click on “Print a test page”.
17. Finally, choose “Close” and press “Finish”.
Fix 7: Restart Epson Printer and Windows 10 Computer
While you may already know how to restart your Epson printer and Windows 10 computer, here we have listed the step-by-step procedure to help you correctly perform this fix. Sometimes when the reason behind the error state is minor, restarting your device along with your PC can seem the quickest way to resolve it.
1. Close the printing tasks.
2. Check that there are no tasks in the print queue.
3. Turn off your Windows 10 system and the printer.
4. Now, restart your Windows 10 computer and the printer.
5. Print a test page to ensure that the problem has been fixed.
Fix 8: Install Windows 10 Update
The Epson printer in error state can be fixed by installing the updates available for Windows OS. You can select the option of Settings by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard. After this, you can move to Update & Security to find the Windows Update option. In case you find that updates are available, make no delay in installing them.
1. Open the “Start” menu on your Windows 10 system.
2. Next, open the “Settings”.
3. The third step is to go to the “Update & Security” settings.
4. Then click on “Windows update”.
5. Now, tap on “Check” for the “Updates” button.
6. Any updates available for your Windows 10 system will be installed now.
Wrapping it up
Printing problems like these can spring up every now and then. Knowing their solutions is the only tactic to deal with them. We hope our solutions make your day. If we saved your printer from the Epson error state, then we bet we can save you from a lot more printing errors too such as Epson printer offline and Epson Printer Error Code 0x97. Learn how you can escape from these errors in just a click.
Keep reading our blogs to learn more solutions with us!
Frequently Asked Questions
To extend your learning about the issue of the error state of your Epson printer, you can find certain FAQs below. You can prefer reading them for unresolved queries as well.
Several factors can cause your Epson printer to display the error state problem. Some of these factors can relate to hardware problems, blockage on the device’s printhead, a fault in the printer driver or its installation, etc.
If your Epson WF 3640 Printer is displaying the error state issue, you can first check that the cartridges are original and in a suitable condition. Along with that, you can update the drivers for your Epson printer.
Epson XP 410 Printer is an efficient model, however, if it has jammed paper, incorrect ink cartridge, or outdated software, then it may go into the error state.
For getting your Epson printer out of the error mode, you can use the in-built Troubleshooter of Windows. Along with that, you can update the drivers for this device
I always have an error state on my Epson bw305 printer, using HP laptop. My PC desktop windows 7, doesn’t have a problem printing. i tried a number of times uninstalling, using my driver disk and updating online drivers, to no success. check the ports tab and un checked the “Bi lateral” option.
I don’t no, where to go from here. my laptop is HP pavilion g6, upgraded to windows 10.
RECIPIENT SETTINGS (1/3)