When you visit certain websites, your information or personal data is stored. In some way, this is good as you do not have to enter the information every time you visit the website. However, stored cookies can pose a threat to your privacy as it collects your sensitive information. This is why you should always clear the cache on your browser after a regular interval. The following guide answers the very common “how to clear cache and cookies on Safari in Apple devices?” question in detail.
But the Drill First
To clear cache and cookies on Safari, you are required to navigate through the browser settings. You can also implement a few steps on your Mac computer to remove cache and cookies. Since the Safari browser can be used on multiple Apple devices, we have compiled a guide on how to clear cache on Mac Safari and how to clear Safari cache on iPhone or iPad.
But that is not just it. You will also get familiar with other stuff such as clearing autocomplete data from the AutoFill Tool, deleting the website logins to add the entry again, disabling the Keychain Access App, deleting the browsing history, blocking cookies, and using content blockers tool to ensure privacy.
Before you jump onto this, let us get you the answer to the following questions:
- Guide for clear Cache on Safari Mac 10.14?
- How to Clear Cookies on a Mac Computer?
- Guide for Clear Safari Cache on iPhone?
- How to Clear Cookies on iPhone or iPad?
Guide for Clear Cache on Safari Mac 10.14 and Other Versions?
On a Mac computer, Safari cache can be cleared in two ways: using the Developer menu or Shortcut keys. So let’s know how to clear cache on Safari Mac 10.14 and other versions.
- If you want to clear the cache through the Developer menu then you can click on the Safari option in the main menu on the Mac computer.
- Then, you can click on the Preferences option.
- When the pop up appears, you can select the Advanced option.
- Here, you will see several options in which you need to click on the Show Develop menu in the menu bar. This should be located in the main menu called Develop.
- When you reach the Develop menu, you can open the Safari window and choose the Empty Caches option.
- After that, you can click on the File and select the New Window in order to start the Safari browser with the cleaned cache.
If you want to know the alternate path to clear cache on Mac Safari then you can use the shortcut keys to clear the cache on Safari on Mac. For that, you can use the CMD + ALT + E key combination. This is the fastest way to clear the cache on a Mac computer.
After knowing how to clear browser cache on Safari, it is time to eliminate cookies from your Mac computer. Let’s check out exactly how.
How to Clear Cookies on a Mac Computer?
If you are thinking about how to clear cookies and cache on Safari on your Mac computer, then let us tell you it is pretty easy to do that. In addition to it, you can clean cookies for individuals or all the websites at once. Here is what you can do to clear cookies.
- To get started, you need to launch the Safari browser on your computer.
- Next to this, you can select the Preferences option from the dropdown menu. This should be located on the top left.
- Now, you can click on the Privacy icon and choose the Manage Website Data option.
- Here you will find the list of websites where your cache and cookies are stored. If you want to clear cookies for individual websites that you can select those websites manually to clear cookies whereas, for all the websites, you can hit the Remove all button from the dropdown menu.
Note: Deleting the cookies will also remove the login credentials for websites. In this case, you will have to log in again (if you have cleared the cache and cookies) when you visit certain websites.
This is how you can remove the cookies on your Mac computer. So till now, we have learned how to clear cache and cookies on Safari on your Mac computer. Now you will learn to clear cache and cookies for mobile phones such as iPhone and iPad.
Guide For Clear Safari Cache on iPhone?
Before we learn to clear cookies, we will know how to clear Safari cache on iPhone. For that, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
- To clear Safari cache on iPad or iPhone, you can launch the Settings app.
- Then, you can tap the Safari app and tap on the Clear History and Website Data option.
- After that, you can tap again on the Clear History and Website Data option in order to clear the cache.
- If you want to clear the cache for a particular website then you can go to the Settings.
- Next to this, you can tap the Safari app and choose the Advanced option.
- Here, you can tap on the Website Data.
- At this point, you can search for the website to clear the cache. When you are done finding the website, you can swipe left and hit the Delete button to clear browser cache on Safari for that particular website.
Most users ask how do you clear cache in Safari on iPhone or iPad? If you are one of those who want to know how to clear Safari cache on iPad or iPhone then the above-mentioned steps are very helpful.
How to Clear Cookies on iPhone or iPad?
In Safari, clear cache and cookies on iPhone and iPad with the help of the following steps:
- To clear cookies on your iPhone, you can launch the Settings app.
- Next to this, you can scroll down and find the Safari app.
- Then, you can tap the Advanced option.
- Now, you can choose the Website Data option.
- At this point, you can tap on the Clear history and website data option. This will remove all the cookies and cache from your iPhone Safari browser.
This is how you can clear cookies on the iPhone. If you are thinking how do I clear my cache in Safari then the above-mentioned steps are easy to follow. Besides that, you can prevent your data by following other helpful ideas which you are going to read below.
Clear Autocomplete Data from the AutoFill Tool
AutoFill Tool in Safari fills information such as usernames and passwords on the websites automatically. This helps you to log in to the website quickly without entering the username and password repeatedly. However, this may risk our privacy as AutoFill might fill other information on the websites. Therefore, deleting the autofill tool can save all of us.
To prevent any kind of loss, you can clear autocomplete data from the AutoFill Tool. To get the job done, you can do the following.
- Visit Safari’s Preferences and click on the AutoFill icon.
- Now whichever data you want to delete, you can hit the Edit button located next to that specific data.
- Here, you can click on the Remove button.
Instead of using the autocomplete data, you can add the data manually when you visit the website. Also, make sure that you clean the cookies regularly. This can be proved the greatest way to save your data from online privacy invasion.
Delete Wrong Website Logins from Safari
When you visit the website and enter the wrong username and password, Safari auto completes it subsequently. In this scenario, you can delete the website logins and add the entry again. To know better, go through the following steps.
- In Safari’s Preferences box, you can click on the Passwords icon.
- Then, you can find the website for which you want to remove the wrong login credentials.
- After this, you can hit the Remove button.
- Since you want to enter the correct login credential so you can click on the Add button.
- Here, you can provide the website URL for which you want to add information.
- Next to this, you can enter the correct username and password. You can use the Tab key to switch from field to field.
Delete Website Logins from Mac
Keychain Access App on Mac controls the whole security operation. To keep your website logins safe, you can remove the login credentials entries from this app. By doing so, you do not just stop sharing login credentials from Safari but also from all your Mac apps that are using your username and passwords.
To find this app, you can go to the Finder menu and open the Applications list. Here, in the Utilities folder, you will find the Keychain Access app.
Now, to delete your data entry, you can enter the website name in the search bar. This will show the list of entries of Web Form Password. By clicking right on the entry, you can delete it entirely from your Mac computer.
Clear Browsing History in Safari on Mac
To ensure privacy, you can also delete the browsing history from your Safari browser on the Mac computer. This will remove all your records that have been stored since the time you have started browsing. To do so, you can do the following.
- First of all, you can launch the Safari app on your computer.
- Then, you can click on History and select the Clear History option.
- After this, you can select the time period for deleting the browsing history and clear all the records.
Note: When you clean the browsing history, Safari removes the following details from your browser.
- History of the web pages you visited
- Top Sites that are not marked as permanent
- The back and forward list for open web pages
- Recent search history
- List of the frequently visited websites
- Snapshots saved for open web pages
- Icons for web pages
- Websites that prompted to use your location
- List of items you have downloaded (downloaded files are not removed)
- The Websites added for Instant Website Search
- Websites with plug-in content that you started by clicking on a Safari Power Saver notice
- Websites that prompted you to send notifications
Block All Cookies
Cookies are something that most of the websites store when users visit them so that the websites can remember you. As mentioned earlier, it may risk your confidential information. Hence, Safari has introduced the Block All Cookies feature on Apple devices. You can block cookies even on your iPhone or iPad.
In Safari, clear cache and cookies on iPhone and iPad with the help of the following steps.
- On your iPhone, launch the Settings app.
- Then, you need to find the Safari app and open it.
- Under the Privacy & Security section, you will discover the ‘Block All Cookies feature’.
- You can tap on the toggle in order to enable this option.
Note: When you block cookies, a few of the web pages might behave in an inappropriate manner. For instance, you would not be able to sign in to certain websites, you might encounter an error such as “Browser’s cookies are off” or “Cookies are required”. In such a case, you need to disable the “Block All Cookies” feature.
Try Using Content Blockers
Content blockers are tools such as extensions and third-party apps that let the Safari browser block cookies, pop-ups, resources, and more. If you are willing to block content then you can do the following.
- First, download the content blocking app using the App Store.
- Then, you can launch the Settings app and go to Safari.
- Here, you can open the Content Blockers section and set up the third-party apps or extensions as per your wish.
Once you do so, your Safari browser will block the content. In addition to it, you can use multiple content blockers.
The process of clearing the cache and cookies is quite simple. All you have to do is navigate through the Safari settings and then you are done. You can also clear cache on Safari using your Mac computer and iPhone or iPad as well. By clearing the autocomplete data and other methods, you can protect your privacy better than ever on the Safari browser.
Apart from this, if you want to clear cookies for other web browsers then you can read ErrorsDoc guide on how to clear cookies on computer right here.