How to Format SD Card on Mac Using Simple Tools?
To format your SD card and microSD card on your Mac, the Disk Utility tool method will be the best. Using this tool, you can format your card to FAT16 and FAT32. This tool works well for SD cards and microSD cards with different storage.
The steps for using this tool can vary depending upon the storage. We will guide you in using this tool for formatting your card, considering its storage. Along with this tool, you can find more ways as well.
Now, let’s read ahead and learn how to format SD card on Mac.
This blog carries 9 topics. These have been provided below.
- How to Format SD Card on Mac?
- How to Format SD Card to FAT32 on Mac?
- How to Format SD Card with 64 GB to FAT32 on Mac?
- How Do I Format an SD Card on Mac via Mac Command Line?
- How to Format SD Card FAT16 on Mac?
Expert Tip: In the following sections, you will come across various macOS format SD card and microSD card methods. Before executing them, it will be ideal to backup any important files on your card.
How to Format SD Card on Mac?
The Disk Utility tool is widely used by Mac users for formatting the SD card. You can also use this tool. You can read beyond to learn how to format SD card on Mac in 10 steps.
1. Get an external card reader.
2. Also, bring an SD card adapter for connecting the card to your Mac.
3. Once the card is connected, you can save its files on your Mac.
4. On the top-right, press the icon of the “Magnifying Glass Tool”.
5. Write “Disk Utility” and press “Enter” to search.
6. From the dropdown list, click on “Disk Utility”.
7. Locate your SD card on the left. You may find it with the name “Untitled” or “No Name”.
8. Access the “Erase” tab in the window.
9. In the tab, locate the dropdown menu, and click on “Format”.
Note: We will suggest you to choose “MS-DOS” of “FAT” in case the SD card is of 32 GB or lesser than that. In case your SD card is 64 GB, you can choose “ExFAT”.
10. Press “Erase”. You may be asked for confirmation to agree. Please confirm.
How to Format SD Card to FAT32 on Mac?
In this Mac format SD FAT32 method, you can access the Disk Utility tool via the Launchpad. Thereafter, you can perform 8 steps to format the card to FAT32. To find these steps, continue reading below.
1. Connect your SD card to your Mac OS.
2. In the “Launchpad”, look for “Disk Utility”. Then launch it.
3. Choose your “Drive”.
4. Then tap “Erase”.
5. You can choose to set a “New Name”. This step is optional.
6. When you are asked to choose a “Format”, pick “MS-DOS (FAT)”.
7. In the case of “Scheme” choose, “Master Boot Record”.
8. Now, press “Erase”. The method to format SD card on Mac will be finished.
Note: Considering the size of the “USB Drive”, this process can require some time to complete.
How to Format SD Card with 64 GB to FAT32 on Mac?
Do you have an SD card with 64 GB? If you are looking for a method to format it, then you can consider the one shown below. This method to format SD card Mac FAT32 carries 6 steps. Let’s read them quickly.
1. Begin with opening “Disk Utility” on your Mac.
2. On the left, find an “SD Card” labelled as “Untitled” or “No Name”.
3. Access the “Erase” tab.
4. Choose “FAT32” from the dropdown to select the “Format”.
5. Provide permission to go ahead with the format SD card Mac procedure.
6. Then click on “Erase”. Now, wait until the formatting procedure is over.
How Do I Format an SD Card on Mac via Mac Command Line?
The Command Line on Mac works as another method using which you can format your SD card to FAT32. In this method, you will be required to write a command and the formatting process will be initiated.
Now, let’s get to know how to format SD card to FAT32 on Mac via the Command Line.
1. Begin with opening “Spotlight”. For this, press the “cmd” key together with the “Space” key.
2. In the box that emerges, write “Terminal”. Then hit “Enter”.
3. Insert the SD card that has to be formatted.
4. Write “diskutil list” for card’s identification.
5. Choose the SD card that has been inserted.
6. Enter the command shown below.
“sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT 32 SDCARD MBRFormat /dev/disk2”
Note: We are assuming that the name of the SD card is “SDCARD”. It is also assumed that its location is “/dev/disk2”. Also, note that in the command shown below, “sudo” will secure you the superuser rights. “diskutil” is for Disk Utility. “eraseDisk” has been added to give the command for formatting the SD card. “FAT32” will be helpful for setting the file system. “MBRFormat” refers to the Master Boot Record”.
7. Now, enter your “Password”.
The format SD card Mac FAT32 procedure will now be initiated. This will take a while.
How to Format SD Card FAT16 on Mac?
To format micro SD card on Mac to FAT16, you can again use the Disk Utility tool. For formatting the card to FAT16, the steps can vary a bit. For knowing the exact steps, you can go through the following.
1. Place your SD card in a card reader.
2. Go to “Disk Utility”.
3. Highlight the device of the SD card.
4. Click on “Erase”.
5. Choose “Volume Format: MS-DOS (FAT)”.
6. Press “Erase” again.
7. The “SD Card Volume Name” will become the number of “UNIX Device”. Jot down the number somewhere.
8. Now, locate the path of the SD card device. Enter “cd/dev” in the “Terminal” window. Press “Return”. Then write “ls” along with the “Return” key. You will find your SD card.
9. Open “Disk Utility”. Highlight the device of the card. Then press “Unmount”.
10. Open the “Terminal” window. Write the following command in it.
“newfs_msdos -F 16 (path to SD Card device)/(SD Card device number)”
Note: In the command shown above, ensure that the path of the device has been correctly written. Then write the number of the SD card device which you had noted in the seventh step.
11. A warning may appear. After this, the command will be successfully performed.
12. Remove your SD card as the final step.
How to Format 128GB SD Card on Mac?
Disk Utility on Mac can be used for formatting your SD card with 128 GB as well. Interestingly, for SD cards with greater storage than this, you can again use this method. The 11 steps of this method are shown as follows.
1. Connect your 128 GB SD card to your system.
2. Go to “Applications”.
3. Click on “Utilities”.
4. Choose “Disk Utility”.
5. On the left sidebar, you can find your SD card. Then select it.
6. In the toolbar, click on the “Erase” option.
7. Add a name for your 128 GB SD card.
8. Ensure that the file system is “MS-DOS (FAT).
9. Then tap “Erase”.
10. The formatting process will take some time. When it is over, you have to press “Done”.
11. Now, you can eject the card.
How to Format Micro SD Card on Mac?
Learn how to format micro SD card on Mac in 13 steps. These steps will teach you to format the card as well as verify that the formatting has been correctly done on Mac.
1. In the “microSD Card Adapter”, place your microSD card.
2. Via the “Spotlight Tool”, open “Disk Utility”.
3. Click twice on the “Disk Utility” option.
4. Click on your card in the tool. You can find its information now.
5. Tap on “Erase”.
6. Tap on “Format” in the “Erase Menu”.
7. For formatting it to “FAT32”, choose “MS-DOS(FAT)”.
8. Name your card if you want to then. Then hit the button for “Erase”.
9. Your card will be formatted. To verify that this has been correctly done, open the “Finder” app.
10. Find your device in “Locations” or “Devices”.
11. When the device has been found, right-click on it and press “Get Info”.
12. Check that the “Format” section says “MS-DOS FAT32”.
13. Eject the microSD card to finish this procedure.
Why am I Unable to Format SD Card on Mac?
There can be times when your SD card won’t format. There can also be instances wherein you can’t format micro SD card on Mac. You may wonder why the formatting procedure is failing.
We have observed 6 reasons that could most likely be causing this problem. These are shown below.
1. The files of the card may have been corrupted by a virus.
2. An error in the file system can also cause this problem.
3. Your SD card may not have been safely removed.
4. Any bad sectors can make your SD card corrupted.
5. There can be a rare chance of power failure failing the FAT32 format SD card Mac procedure.
6. It may have been protected via rights. Thus, you may be unable to format the card.
What should I Do if I can’t Format SD Card on Mac?
There are 3 solutions to your problem. Following these solutions, you will be able to remove the causes that are creating a failure in the formatting procedure.
Fix 1: Use the Built-in SD Slot of Mac to Format Your SD Card
We often come across concerns like how to format SD on Mac when the procedure keeps failing. The built-in SD slot of your computer will be of great help when such a problem arises. To use the built-in slot, you can look at the following 7 steps.
1. First, make certain that your Mac and SD card are connected.
2. You can use the built-in SD slot of your Mac. Alternatively, you can utilize an external cartridge for SD card or a USB SD card reader.
3. Access “Applications” on your Mac.
4. Tap “Utilities”.
5. Click on “Disk Utility”.
Note: On the top right of your screen, you can find an option to search. Using this option, you can directly access “Disk Utility”.
6. Select and click on your card. It may be labelled as “Untitled” or “No Name”. Check the storage of the card on Mac. Also, check the storage of the card placed in.
7. Assign a card name. Select “ExFAT” as “Format”. Then tap “Erase”.
The problem of the SD card won’t format on Mac will be fixed.
Fix 2: Try Removing Write Protection on Your SD Card
Do you know how to format SD in Mac if it has write protection? If you don’t, then formatting can fail. The ideal way is to remove the write protection from Read Only to Read & Write. The write protection can be cleared in 7 steps.
1. Right-click on your SD card’s file.
2. Click on “Get Info”.
3. In the section of “Sharing Permissions”, look for “Privilege”. Then locate the “Read Only” option.
4. Press the icon of “Lock”.
5. You will have to unlock the settings. Write the “Administrator Password” for unlocking them.
6. Tap on “Read Only”. Set it to “Read & Write”.
7. Now, try to format your SD card on Mac.
Fix 3: Use Third-party SD Card Formatter
In case your SD card has no write protection and you are still unable to format it, you can take help from a third-party formatter.
Third-party SD card formatters can be found online. You can choose the one which you find to be highly reliable. Then try to format your card. This solution should work.
All Things Considered
You may be required to format your SD card or microSD card for different purposes. You can use tools like the Disk Utility and Command Line for doing this in a simple manner. And on the off chance that you find any error while formatting, you can take help from the above-mentioned fixes.