As the new year starts, QuickBooks users prefer to close their books. However, it is not necessary to close the book at the end of every fiscal year but doing so will prevent you from accidental modifications that may affect the report in the future. Moreover, QuickBooks Desktop allows you to set the closing date and password because any modification to the past books requires the password. If needed, you can change the closing date or closing date password. In case you have no idea how to change closing date password in QuickBooks, we will guide you with the right details.
This comprehensive guide talks about how to change closing date password in QuickBooks Online and Desktop for both Windows and Mac users. Let’s read ahead!
How to Change Closing Date in QuickBooks Desktop (Windows)?
To change the closing date in QuickBooks, you are required to log in to the account as an administrator. Only a user with admin rights can have the privilege to change or edit the closing date and password.
If you are using QuickBooks Desktop on a Windows computer, it is easy to change the closing date. All you have to do is open the Company menu, click on the Set Closing Date option, choose the Set Date/Password, and hit the OK button.
For detailed steps, you can jump to the following steps:
- Open “QuickBooks Desktop” on a Windows computer.
- Then, go to the “Company” menu.
- Now, click on the “Set Closing Date” button.
- At this point, you are required to choose the “Set Date/Password” option.
- Now, in the “Closing Date”, you can enter the appropriate date.
- Similarly, you can add the password in the “Closing Date Password”.
- Once done, click on the “OK” button to save the details.
As you change the closing date and closing date password, you may get a notification when voiding the check that has an expense account type or date of the transaction before the closing date. At this point, you can click on the Yes button. Doing so, QuickBooks will start creating the 2 Journal Entries. This will balance the accounts that are affected by the checks.
Important: This should be noted that creating the Journal Entry in QuickBooks is optional. However, you can void the check if required.
How to Change Closing Date in QuickBooks Desktop (Mac)?
QuickBooks for Mac lets you set or change the closing date or closing date password. The procedure of QuickBooks change closing date requires you to navigate through the Company section. From here, you can click on the Users and Passwords option. Now, you can click on the Set Closing Date, enter the Closing Date or Closing date Password and save the details.
To learn how to change closing date password in QuickBooks for Mac, you can check out the step by step guide:
- Login to your “QuickBooks for Mac”.
- Navigate to the “Company” menu.
- Then, switch to the “Users and Passwords” button.
- Click on the “Set Closing Date” option from the “Users and Passwords” section.
- At this point, you can change the closing date in the “Closing Date” option.
- Now, enter the password in the “Closing Date Password” option.
- To save details, don’t forget to click on the “OK” button.
After performing these steps, you can close the Users and Passwords window, Now onwards, you can use the date and password you updated recently.
How to Change Closing Date Password in QuickBooks Online?
In case you forget the password or want to change the closing date in QuickBooks Online, you can do it in a few simple clicks. All you have to do is edit the details. For instance, to change the closing date or closing date password, you can go through the Company settings from the QuickBooks settings.
From here, you can switch to the Advanced tab, click on the Edit button from the Accounting section. Here, you can enter the new date and password.
Let us show you the detailed steps for how to change closing date password in QuickBooks Online. But, make sure that you log in to the QuickBooks account as a company or primary administrator. Because a user with admin rights can edit the closing date and closing date password.
- In QuickBooks Online, click on the “Settings” menu.
- Then, go to the “Company Settings” option.
- Click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Choose the “Edit” button from the “Accounting” section.
- Now, edit the closing date.
- If you want to edit the password, enter the new closing date password.
- After confirming the password, you can click on the “Save” button.
- Later, you can press the “Done” button.
This is how you can easily change the closing date and closing date password in QuickBooks Online. If you wish to track the changes made after closing the books, you can run the Exception to Closing Date report. This report will display all the changes you have made after you close the books.
To find out the changes, you can click on the Report tab. After that, add the Exceptions to Closing Date in the search field. Now, you can open the report to see the changes.
If you want to prevent changes to the past books in your QuickBooks account then it is suggested to use the closing date and password. If required, you can change the closing date and closing date password by editing the details from the Company section. Those who have no clue about it can take help from this guide. Here, we have explained how to change closing date password in QuickBooks Online and Desktop on Windows and Mac. By viewing the Exception to Closing Date report, you can check the changes made recently.
In QuickBooks, you can change the start date and date format as well. To know more about QuickBooks guides, you can check out the following links:
- How to Change Start Date in QuickBooks?
- How to Change Date Format in QuickBooks?