In QuickBooks accounting software, you may have to pay bills via checks. And, for every business owner, it is important to keep the checks in order. However, in some scenarios, the check numbers may not be found in the sequence. Thus, users may be required to edit the check or starting check numbers while writing or printing the checks. If you have no earthly clue how to change starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop, we will help you to know it.
In this guide, we will show how to change check number in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop with detailed steps.
How Do I Change the Starting Check Number on QuickBooks Desktop?
There can be instances when users have to change the check or starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop before sending or printing it. Now, this can be done in two different ways. One is when you want to edit the check number from the QuickBooks menu or while printing the check.
Here, we will show you the procedure of both editing the check numbers and changing the starting check number while printing your checks. Let’s read how to change starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop.
Edit the Check Number in QuickBooks Desktop
To proceed with the QuickBooks change check number procedure, one has to go through the Banking menu. After that, you can go to the Use Register page and locate the check you want to edit. Once you are done with editing, you can save the applied changes. Let’s check the detailed steps:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on your computer.
- Then, navigate to the “Banking” menu from the top menu bar.
- After that, select the “Use Register” button.
- Here, you are required to select the account in which your check and paychecks are saved.
- Once located, click twice on check and paycheck to open them.
- Now, move to the “Check Number” field.
- At this point, you can enter the correct check number in the field.
- When you are done making changes, close the window.
- If prompted then select the “Yes” button to save the changes.
This way you can edit the starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop. All you have to do is open the check from the Banking menu and make the required changes to the check. After that, you can continue sending the check to the considered person via QuickBooks.
Change the Starting Check Number When Printing the Checks
If you are on the Create Payments page and you wish to edit the starting check number while printing the check, you can do it easily. To do so, you can pursue the following steps:
- Navigate to the “Banks” menu.
- Then, click on the “Print Checks” option.
- Now, you can choose the “Record Bank Drafts”.
- Make sure you select the “Print Checks” and “EFT Notices” in the Payroll.
- Here, you can enter the desired details on tabs.
- When you are on the “Format” tab, move to the left and select the “Payment Type”.
- In the “Starting Payment Number” box, enter the correct numbers located on the right (below the check format).
- Once done, click the “Create Now” or “Create Later”.
By following these steps, you can easily change or edit the starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop. Make sure you open the appropriate check in payroll.
What If You Encounter an Error?
While changing the check numbers, you may find issues. For instance, when you print the check via QuickBooks, the check numbers may not remain in sequence. In such a situation, you may connect with the QuickBooks support team.
How to Change Check Number in QuickBooks Online?
As we specified before, organizing the checks in the sequence is a priority for business owners. If you find any check with the wrong sequence, you can edit the details manually. All you have to do is reset the number and add the right sequence.
To change the check numbers in QuickBooks Online, you need to enable a couple of features so that you can edit the check number if required in the future. Continue reading to understand better.
Set the Preferences to Edit Check Numbers
By making these preferences, you will be eligible to edit the check number if required. All you have to do is open the Settings, go to the Sales tab, and open the Sales for content. Here, you have selected the relevant option. Same thing you have to follow through the Advanced tab.
Follow these steps to enable the settings in QuickBooks Online:
- Log in to your “QuickBooks Online” account.
- Then, navigate to the “Gear” icon located on the top right.
- Here, you can click on the “Account and Settings” page.
- After that, switch to the “Sales” tab.
- Select the “Sales form content”.
- Here, you need to make sure that the “Custom transaction numbers” option is selected.
- Once done, click the “Save” button.
- Moving ahead to the “Advanced” tab on the same page.
- After that, click on the “Other preferences” window.
- Here, you need to make sure that the “Warn if duplicate check number is used” option is selected.
- Thereafter, hit the “Save” button to save the applied actions.
- To finish the procedure, click the “Done” button.
Now that you have set the right preferences, you will not find any duplicates or issues with the check number in QuickBooks Online.
Change the Check Numbers
In case you find any duplicate numbers and you wish to edit the reset the number or change them then you can create a new check. By doing so, you can add the correct order for the check.
Let’s learn how to change starting check number in QuickBooks Online in the following steps:
- Click on the “Plus (+)” icon.
- Then, click on the “Check”.
- Here, you can add the information required for the check.
- If you don’t find the correct numbers in the field of “Check no.” then you can enter the correct check number manually.
- To finish the process, click on the “Save and close” button.
- After that, go to the “Plus (+)” icon again.
- Go to the “Check” to verify the number.
By using these steps, you can easily reset or change the check number in QuickBooks Online. If required, you can create the check number report to find out which check number has already been used in the QuickBooks account so far.
For every business owner, it is mandatory to keep the check number in the sequence. However, while making the check, you may find the number indifferent which can be edited. In both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online, the procedure is quite different for changing the starting check number. Hence, we have shown you in detail how to change starting check number in QuickBooks Desktop and Online.
If you want to edit other details such as the payroll date in QuickBooks, you can read the following guides: