A network timeout error like the code 12029 in QB can result due to an internet connection with poor connectivity. The external and internal causes of this error can make it surface on QuickBooks and QuickBooks Desktop. Experts suggest that checking the internet connectivity can help you fix the QuickBooks error code 12029. According to the users of QuickBooks Desktop, pending updates should be completed for doing away with the causes of this error.
It should be noted that apart from improving the internet connectivity and updating the software, the 12029 error can be resolved in many ways. Some of the ways that we have found can also work for the users of Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. To know them, you can read further.
To know the contents of this blog, this summary can be of use:
- What is QuickBooks Error 12029?
- Causes of the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12029
- How to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error Code 12029?
- Fix 1: Make Internet Explorer Your Default Browser
- Fix 2: Configure Antivirus and Firewall via QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Fix 3: Check Internet Connectivity
- Option 3: Reset the Internet Settings
- Fix 4: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
- Option 1: Running Windows 7 in Safe Mode with Networking
- Option 2: Using Safe Mode with Networking on Windows 8 and 10
- Fix 5: Attempt to Restore Your Windows Computer
What is QuickBooks Error 12029?
In QB, the error 12029 points out at a network timeout problem. The Intuit software may be unable to obtain an IP address. Since the connection between the servers may not be strong as a result of this, the QuickBooks error code 12029 would be the outcome.
Causes of the QuickBooks Payroll Update Error 12029
QuickBooks error code 12029 is caused by two different types of factors: internal and external. Let’s find out about them in detail one by one:
External Causes of the Error:
The error 12029 in QB can get triggered by the following external causes:
- Issues in downloading or updating QuickBooks Payroll can result in it.
- There may be obstructions in internet security or firewall services. The connection between the server and QB can fail due to this.
- Internet Explorer may not be set as the default web browser.
- Your internet plan may have expired.
- The SSL settings may be misconfigured.
- You may not have properly configured the internet settings.
Internal Causes of the Error:
Let us now look at the internet causes of the error 12029 in QuickBooks:
- QuickBooks may be failing to connect with your internet.
- The connection to the QuickBooks company file may have been lost.
- When the server is blocked, QB may get affected.
- Update timeout in the software can be the next common cause of the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029.
How to Get Rid of QuickBooks Error Code 12029?
To do away with the QB error 12029, you can set Internet Explorer as the default browser when it is used for opening the browser. The QuickBooks Tool Hub can be utilized for configuring the firewall. A configured firewall/antivirus can help you get rid of the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029. Also, you can check and verify the internet connection being used.
More fixes for eliminating this error can be found in the upcoming sections.
Fix 1: Make Internet Explorer Your Default Browser
The QuickBooks software users prefer Internet Explorer for accessing it. It has been seen in several instances that when Internet Explorer isn’t set as the default browser, issues with the software such as the error 12029 show up. To eliminate the error, this browser can be set as the default application. Via Run on your computer, you can use the INETCPL.CPL command. In Programs, select Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser. Then from the section of Web Browser, Internet Explorer can be set to default.
- Go to “Run” on your system.
- In “Run”, the following has to be entered:
- Tap on “Enter”.
- Move to the tab for “Programs”.
- “Make Internet Explorer the Default Browser” needs to be selected.
- Locate the section of “Web Browser”.
- The default apps will be given here. Ensure that “Internet Explorer” appears as a default app.
- The updates for “QB” have to be downloaded now.
Those of you who are successful in downloading the updates for the software may not find the QuickBooks error 12029 any further.
Fix 2: Configure Antivirus and Firewall via QuickBooks Tool Hub
Installing security applications on computers is a common practice. However, these applications can sometimes block QuickBooks. Being blocked, you may come across the QuickBooks error code 12029 on your computer. To solve it, the antivirus and firewall can be configured using QuickBooks Tool Hub.
From the official site of Intuit, QuickBooks Tool Hub can be downloaded. You can save its file at a preferable location and then run it. When you run the file, some prompts will be seen. Follow them one by one. The Tool Hub will be completely installed. Now, you can use it for automatically configuring the firewall.
- Open the website of “Intuit”.
- Download “QuickBooks Tool Hub File” from the website.
- Save the file named “QuickBooksToolHub.exe”.
- Now, open the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file.
- Certain prompts should appear. Follow them.
- Let the tool get installed on your system.
- When the installation is complete, twice press the icon of the tool.
- The tool will auto-configure the firewall ports.
- Now, run “QuickBooks”.
- Ensure that the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029 has been removed.
Fix 3: Check Internet Connectivity
The connectivity to the internet is required for using QuickBooks. However, when this connectivity is unavailable, using the internet may not be possible. In addition, a faulty or slow internet connection may also limit you from using it. Thus, QuickBooks may not run. In such a situation, finding the error 12029 should not be surprising or unexpected.
To ensure that such a situation does not occur, internet connectivity should be checked. The users can check by following 3 ways. These ways include verifying the internet connection, adjusting the date and time, and resetting the internet settings.
Option 1: Verify Your Internet Connection
An easy way to verify your internet connection is by opening your web browser. You can type in the URL of any website. Find out whether or not the website is opening. An error-free internet connection will open the website. However, a problematic or slow connection may not help in accessing the site. With such a connection, using QuickBooks may give you an unlikely experience by displaying the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029. You may request your internet service provider to assist you in repairing or changing the connection.
- Launch “Internet Explorer” on your computer.
- Open any website.
- Ensure that the website is opening. If not, then the internet connection may be faulty.
Option 2: Adjust the Date and Time on Your PC
Internet-related issues can surface due to the incorrect date and time on your PC. These issues can come in the way of your experience while using QB. Thus, you may find the error code 12029 in it. The date and time can be adjusted from the computer settings. The Time & Language option should be selected. Then you can move to the page for Date & Time. Here, you can pick the option mentioning Set Time Automatically.
Let us now go through the remaining directions of this fix. They have been provided here:
- Go to “Settings” on your PC.
- Choose “Time & Language”.
- Select the “Date & Time” page.
- Tap on “Set Time Automatically”.
- Find the section of “Time Zone”.
- Ensure that the right time zone has been marked. Or you can use the dropdown menu for introducing the changes.
- Enable “Adjust for Daylight Saving Time Automatically” in case applicable to the chosen time zone.
Option 3: Reset the Internet Settings
We will now look at the method for resetting the internet settings. Sometimes incorrect settings may affect QuickBooks and give rise to the 12029 error. By resetting these settings, the Intuit software won’t be affected any further. Thus, the error will stop coming up.
To reset the settings of your internet, click-open your browser. Using the icon of 3 dots, launch the Internet Settings. Select Internet Options in Tools. Then move to the Advanced tab for choosing Reset.
- Open your web browser.
- Look for the icon of three vertical dots.
- Use the icon to visit “Internet Settings”.
- Now, “Tools” has to be selected.
- Choose “Internet Options”.
- Open the “Advanced” tab.
- Push the “Reset” button.
- The default settings will get implemented for your browser. Now, press “Ok”.
Alert: The users will be requested to download the updates for QuickBooks after checking that the internet connectivity is not problematic. When the updates have been downloaded, the software has to be launched. The QuickBooks error 12029 is likely to get removed from the software. However, the internet connection should be repaired or changed by connecting with your ISP. Later, the updates for QB can be installed.
Fix 4: Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking
When the safe mode is used with networking, the QuickBooks users are likely to see no errors. Thus, when the error 12029 is observed, this mode should be entered. Since this QuickBooks error can be observed on Windows 7, Windows 8, as well as Windows 10, we have presented the steps for entering the mode on each of these versions.
Option 1: Running Windows 7 in Safe Mode with Networking
Computers running with Windows 7 should be restarted at first. While restarting your computer, F8 should be pressed. The Advanced Boot Options will be visible. In these options, Safe Mode with Networking can be selected. After running this mode, you can try opening QuickBooks. We believe that the QuickBooks payroll update error 12029 may not be perceived now.
- Restart your Windows 7 computer.
- Once it restarts, press the “F8” key.
- Opt for “Advanced Boot Options” via the “Up” and “Down” arrow keys.
- Select either “Safe Mode” or “Safe Mode with Networking”.
- Hit “Enter”.
- The “Safe Mode” will have been entered now. Boot your computer.
- After booting it, you can normally use your computer.
- Head to “QuickBooks”.
- While using the functions of the software, the QuickBooks error 12029 may not bother you.
Option 2: Using Safe Mode with Networking on Windows 8 and 10
On computers that have Windows 8 or Windows 10, the safe mode can be started via the booting procedure. While booting, the option of Repair My Computer should show up. You can select Troubleshoot and then head to Advanced Options. Soon, you will come across Startup Settings. Select the same and then click on Restart. After this, you can turn on the Safe Mode by pressing the F5 key. The users can start using QB now without worrying about the 12029 network timeout error.
Alert: For enabling the Safe Mode on Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers, the Windows installation media should be prepared. For preparing it, a DVD or USB can be preferred. Followed by making the bootable device, the procedure can be started.
- Run the procedure to boot your Windows 8/10 computer via the bootable device prepared.
- Once it is booted, tap on “Repair My Computer”.
- Select “Troubleshoot”.
- Go to “Advanced Options”
- Prefer choosing “Startup Settings”.
- Click on “Restart”.
- Press “F5” for “Enable Safe Mode with Networking”.
- After entering the “Safe Mode”, you can use your computer.
- Now, launch “QB”.
- Confirm that the payroll update error 12029 is not present in the software.
Fix 5: Attempt to Restore Your Windows Computer
On Windows, the QuickBooks error code 12029 can be found at times. The programs of the computer may be affected. These programs may be creating problems like this error for the users of the accounting software. For troubleshooting it, the programs can be repaired by restoring your Windows computer. From System Restore, you can pick a suitable date and point. The computer will get restored and start to function as usual. When QuickBooks is used now, the error code may not be seen.
- Shut down your computer and start it again.
- Sign in to your computer as the admin.
- Press the “Windows” key.
- Click on the “Search” box.
- Write “System Restore” in the box.
- Let the window of “System Restore” open.
- Pick the date and time for restoring your computer.
Alert: The readers will be advised to pick only that date on which the system was functioning as normal.
- Press “Next”.
- Choose the most recent restore points.
- You will be asked to confirm the action.
- Then press “Next”.
- Let the restoration process finish.
- Afterward, start rebooting your Windows computer.
- Once rebooted, start your computer.
- Click twice on the icon of “QuickBooks”.
- When QB opens, ensure that the 12029 error is not present.
How can You Fix the Error 12029 in QuickBookDesktop?
When the error 12029 surfaces in QuickBooks Desktop, you can ensure that the software is updated. The updates can be installed for reducing the causes of the error code. In some situations, the security certificate can be installed/updated for this Intuit software. Along with that, the SSL settings can be adjusted. In the end, errors like the code 12029 will be cleared from your system.
Fix 1: Download Updates for QuickBooks Desktop
If you’re seeing the error code 12029 on QuickBooks Desktop, then ensure that no updates are pending for the software. On finding that the updates haven’t been installed, close the software. Reopen it along with pressing the Ctrl key. Open Help and select the option of Update QuickBooks Desktop. After this, you can tap on Update Now.
The other steps for this QuickBooks error 12029 fix can be known by reading here:
- Ensure that “QuickBooks Desktop” isn’t running.
- Tap the “Ctrl” key. Hold it for as long as “QuickBooks Desktop”gets opened again.
- Locate “Help” and select it.
- Opt for “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Choose “Update Now”.
- Select the option of “Get Updates”.
- You may see the “Ok” button. Press it.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop” and reopen it.
- You may find an option to update the software. Press “Yes”.
- In case the software is getting updated, you can wait.
- Now, ensure that the error has been repaired by opening the software.
Fix 2: Verify the Internet Settings
For accessing the internet, QuickBooks Desktop often uses Internet Explorer. When the settings of this browser are not verified, the software may be unable to use it. Thus the QuickBooks error code 12029 may arise. To verify the settings of the internet, you can first exit the software. Using run, the command INETCPL.CPL has to be started. You will find the Security tab. Locate the icon of the internet using the tab. Now, you can move closer to verify the internet settings.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Press “Windows + R” keys on your keyboard.
- Fill in “INETCPL.CPL” in “Run”.
- Press “Enter”.
- Go to the “Security” tab.
- Click on the “Internet” icon.
- Set the security level to “Medium-high”.
- Click on “Connections”.
- Choose “Never Dial a Connection” only if the dial-up is not used. Or you can choose “Correct Internet Service Provider”.
- Press “Ok”.
- Now, switch to the “LAN settings”.
- See to it that “Automatically Detect Settings” is marked.
- Uncheck “Use Proxy Server of LAN”.
Alert: “Use Proxy Server of LAN” can be selected provided that the correct “Port” and “Address” have been entered by you.
- Select “Ok”.
- Head to “Advanced”.
- Move to the “Restore Advanced Settings”.
- Select “TLS 1.2”.
- Click on “Ok”.
- Now, start over your PC.
- Begin updating “QuickBooks Desktop”.
Fix 3: Install or Update Security Certificate for QuickBooks Desktop
Installing the security certificate for QuickBooks Desktop can prevent a timeout problem like the error code 12029. In addition to installing it, the certificate should be kept updated. You can do so by right-clicking on the software’s icon on your computer. You have to enter the Properties. From the Shortcut tab, tap on Open File Location. The properties of the QuickBooks.exe file have to be opened now by right-clicking on it. From the list, the software has to be chosen. Then you can visit the tab for Digital Signatures for finding the certificate.
For removing the QuickBooks error code 12029 using this fix, you can know the complete steps here:
- Find the icon of “QuickBooks Desktop” on your computer.
- Right-click on the software’s icon and move to “Properties”.
- Select the tab for “Shortcut”.
- Choose “Open File Location”.
- Press “Ok”.
- Right-tap on the file named “QuickBooks.exe”.
- Open “Properties”.
- Now, choose “QuickBooks” from the list.
- View the tab for “Digital Signatures”.
- Click on “Details”.
- The option mentioning “View Certificate” has to be preferred.
- Then switch to the “General” tab.
- Tap on “Install Certificate”.
- Visit the window of “Certificate Import”.
- The current user should be set to “Store Location”.
- Hit the “Next” button.
- Select “Next”.
- Now, press “Finish”.
As soon as the Finish button is pressed, the security certificate for the accounting software should get imported. Accompanied by this, QuickBooks Desktop has to be updated. The 12029 error code should be resolved.
Fix 4: Configure QuickBooks Payroll
The error 12029 can prevail when QB payroll hasn’t been updated. Some of you may have attempted to update it but failures may have been observed. These failures may be the reason why you are seeing the QuickBooks Payroll update error 12029. In such instances, QuickBooks payroll should be configured. You can disconnect and power off the router. Power it on and check the latency. Then launch the company file and find the Edit option. Using it, the payroll can be updated.
- Disconnect your wireless router or internet connection.
- Wait for 10 seconds.
- Power on the router or internet connection.
- Check the latency of the internet after powering it on.
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Open your “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Press the “Ctrl” and “K” keys on your keyboard.
- When a new window opens, select “Edit”.
- Unmark the “Open Payroll Setup” option.
A process should begin as a result of selecting this option. Wait for the process to be over. As it gets over, QB payroll will be automatically updated.
Fix 5: Run Computer in Selective Startup Mode
Accounting software like QuickBooks Desktop may not correctly work because of software programs in certain situations. It is in these situations that the QuickBooks error code 12029 is likely to develop. To remove the problems generated by the other software programs, the Selective Startup Mode can be started. Make use of the MSConfig command via Run. In System Configuration, opt for Load System Services. Then go to the General tab. The Selective Startup Mode can be started from this tab.
- Start the “Run” command on Windows.
- Input “MSConfig” in “Run”.
- Push the “Enter” tab.
- Enter the “System Configuration” window.
- Choose “Load System Services”.
- Find the “General” tab.
- Click on “Selective Startup”.
- Open the “Services” tab.
- Choose “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
- Hit the “Disable All” option.
- Deselect the “Hide All Microsoft Services” box.
- Ensure that the option of “Windows Installer” has been selected.
- Tap on “Ok”.
- Restart your device.
The Selective Startup Mode will be running now. In this mode on your system, the updates for QuickBooks Desktop can be downloaded and installed.
Fix 6: Adjust SSL Settings for QuickBooks Payroll Update Services
The SSL settings should be adjusted when they are misconfigured. The misconfiguration of these settings can leave some scope for the error 12029 to turn up in QuickBooks Desktop. For adjusting them, open the accounting software. In Help, Internet Connection Settings have to be chosen. Ensure that the speed of the internet is agreeable. Then visit the Advanced Connection Settings for carrying out the remaining procedure. In the end, QuickBooks error 12029 should be fixed.
- Go to “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Head to the “Help” tab.
- Click on “Internet Connection Settings”.
- Check that the software is able to use the internet.
- Also, ensure that the speed of the internet is normal.
- Push “Next”.
- Switch to “Advanced Connection Settings”.
- View “Advanced” in the “Internet Properties” window. Open this tab.
- Tick the following options:
- Click on the “Apply” button.
- Tap on “Ok”.
Exit all the windows once these SSL settings have been adjusted and applied. Reboot the accounting software. Then get the updates for the QuickBooks Payroll Services. Subsequently, check that the error 12029 has been eliminated.
Backing up Company Files Before Fixing the QuickBooks Error 12029
While performing certain fixes for the 12029 error code in QuickBooks, you may lose some data of your files. For this reason, we will suggest the users to form a backup of the important QB company files. On QuickBooks Desktop, it can be prepared by going to the File menu. Here, the Back up Company option needs to be chosen. Then you can select Create Local Backup.
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Click on “File”.
- Go to the “Back up Company” option.
- Opt for “Create Local Backup”.
- Read and execute the instructions that you can see on the screen.
Soon, the backup of your QuickBooks company files will be prepared. At the time of fixing the QB error 12029, even when you lose the data of your files, this backup will be of use.
To Wind Up
Well. That’s it! Hope the aforementioned guide helped you deal with QuickBooks error code 12029 effectively. If you have any query, leave it in the comment section to receive an instant response from our team. And, in the meanwhile, you can check out the following guide that might just come in handy: