As you attempt to open your QuickBooks company file, the software may present you with an error. The QuickBooks error missing name list problem can prevent you from accessing your file. So, if you wish to work on it, then you may not be able to until you get rid of the error. For getting rid of this QuickBooks error, an essential thing to do is to know the reasons for its emergence. By doing so, half the problem will get resolved. After that, you can execute the fixes for solving the problem. These fixes will ensure that you do not see the error again.
The contents of this post have been summarized below.
- Reasons for the Occurrence of QuickBooks Missing Name List Problem
Reasons for the Occurrence of QuickBooks Missing Name List Problem
This section will provide you with 6 reasons that can cause the QB missing name list error. Let us read them to fix and prevent this error.
- The system files of your Windows PC may be damaged.
- In case any application on your computer has not been properly deleted, you may face this error.
- Your PC can be vulnerable to this problem due to improper shutdown.
- Incomplete installations of hardware or applications can be the next cause of the missing name list error.
- Corrupted files form another reason behind the occurrence of this error.
- If your computer has been affected by malware or virus, then you will see multiple problems just like this one.
Fixes to Resolve QuickBooks Error Missing Name List Problem
You will be happy to know that this blog carries 4 fixes for helping you eliminate the QuickBooks missing name list problem. The first fix will show you the usage of the File Doctor Tool. The subsequent fixes will guide you in restoring the backup company file, running the Auto Data Recovery feature, as well as restoring your computer to an earlier date.
Fix 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool on Your PC
One of the easiest ways to fix the QuickBooks error missing name list problem is by running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. This tool is a part of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. So, to implement this tool, you will have to download the tool hub on your PC. Below, we have mentioned how you can download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and then run the QB File Doctor Tool.
In case the QuickBooks Tool Hub has already been installed on your PC, you can skip to the eighth step to directly seek the directions for running the tool to repair the error. From the Company File Issues option, you can run this tool and start scanning your QB Company File.
Related Topic: How to Fix If QuickBooks Scan Manager Could not Be Selected?
- Ensure that “QuickBooks” is not running.
- Download “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
Pro Tip: It will be advisable that you download the recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub, that is “126.96.36.199”. In case the tool hub already exists on your system, ensure that its version is the latest one. To check the same, you can visit the tab titled “Home”. At the bottom of this tab, you can click on “About” to know the version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the downloaded file in a location you prefer.
- Run the file named “QuickBooksToolHub.exe”.
- To continue, you can read the directions displayed on your screen and follow them one by one.
- For installing the tool hub, accept the “Terms & Conditions”.
- Wait for the installation to be over. Then open the “Desktop”. Click twice on the icon of the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” to open it.
Pro Tip: In case you are unable to find the tool hub’s icon, you can open the “Search Bar” from the “Start Menu” and look for the “QuickBooks Tool Hub”. When its icon appears, you can click to open it.
- Now, we are done with the installation of the “QuickBooks Tool Hub”. Let us run it by opening the tool hub. Then click on “Company File Issues”.
- Choose the “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” option and wait for the file to open.
Alert: In the event that the “QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor” does not open, you can conduct a search for it. Then you can manually run it.
- Now, tap the dropdown for picking the “Company File”. If the file cannot be seen, then click on “Browse and Search”. Then locate the file to select it.
- Tap on “Check Your File”.
- Hit the “Continue” button.
- Fill in the “Admin Password” of QuickBooks.
- Press “Next”.
The tool will take some time to scan your file. The time required to scan it will depend on the size of the file. After the scanning process is complete, you can start the QB software and access your file. The problem should not exist now.
Fix 2: Try Restoring the Backup Company File
Restoring your QB company file’s previous backup is what we will be advising you to do next. You can go ahead with this fix only if you have take backup and restore file. Once you are sure that a backup was made by you, click on File after running the QB software. Via the Open or Restore Company, choose to Restore a Backup Copy. Now, you will be able to restore the backup. As you start working with the backup file, you will be able to eliminate the error of missing name list in the software.
- Run “QuickBooks” to find “File”.
- After clicking on “File”, prefer choosing the “Open or Restore Company” option.
- Click on “Restore a Backup Copy”.
- Now, tap on “Next”.
- Opt for the “Local Backup” option.
- Then click on the “Next” button.
- Search for the “Backup Company File” on your PC.
Pro Tip: The name of the “Backup Company File” may appear as “(Your Company Name).qbb”. With this piece of information, you will save your time in looking for this file.
- In this step, you will be required to pick a folder for keeping the restored version of the “Company File”.
- Click on “Open”.
Alert: In case you are opening the backup in the folder in which the current “Company File” has been stored, you may be overwriting the data. For preventing such a situation, we will suggest that you rename the backup or the current “Company File”. When the file and backup have unique names, the overwriting of data will not occur. As an alternative, you can keep the backup in any other folder.
- Press the “Save” button.
- In case you receive a message stating that the overwriting of your data has occurred, you can pick one of the options provided for settling the issue.
At the end of this fix, you will be provided with a new QB company file. You can start your work using this file without coming across the QuickBooks missing name list problem.
Fix 3: Utilize Auto Data Recovery Feature of QuickBooks
The third fix will help you use the ADR or Auto Data Recovery Feature of QB. This feature can work as a QuickBooks error missing name list problem repair utility. If you want to use it, then prepare a new folder on the Desktop and write QB Test as its name. Then visit the folder in which your business files have been placed. The business file with the “.tlg” extension will have to be copied in the newly made folder. Afterwards, you can access the folder of QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery and perform the remaining directions to settle the error.
- Open the “Desktop” on your PC.
- Right-click for making one “New Folder”.
- Enter “QB Test” in place of the new folder’s name.
- Access the folder in which your business files have been stored.
Pro Tip: You can tap the “F2” key to directly access your business files. As an alternative, you can tap the “Ctrl” key and “1” key at the same time for accessing these files.
- After gaining access to the files, look for a file with “.tlg” as its extension. This file’s name will be the same as that of the business file.
- In the sixth step, you need to make a copy of your business file. Then paste it in the folder named “QB Test” which you had created in step 1.
- Now, head to the folder named “QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery”.
Pro Tip: You may find the folder of “QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery” in the same location where you have stored your business file.
- In the folder, you will find a file with “.QBW.adr” as its extension. Copy this file. Then paste it in the folder titled “QB Test”. In this folder, ensure whether the “.tlg” and “.QBW.adr” extensions exist.
- In the folder named “QB Test”, tap on the file with “.QBW.adr” as its extension. Right-tap on the file. Then choose the “Rename” option.
- In case you find “.adr” present at the file’s end, remove it.
- Now, tap on “QuickBooks”.
- Click twice on your business file.
- If you are required to enter your credentials, then provide them to make sure that every transaction is available.
- Next, tap on “File” and select “Utilities”.
- Select “Confirm the Data”.
- In case your business file is correct, transfer it to another site.
- Via “QuickBooks Test”, relocate the copy of the file. Ensure that the actual site is where it is relocated to.
So you see, the ADR feature works just like the QuickBooks error missing name list problem repair utility. It helps you in recovering your data for resuming your work.
Fix 4: Attempt the Restoration of Your Computer to an Earlier Date
QuickBooks error missing name list problem can be fixed by restoring your computer to an earlier date. You will not require any third-party tool in particular for doing so. You can manually do it via the System Restore option in the System Tools. System Tools will be available in the Accessories option. After restoring your computer to an earlier date, you should stop seeing the problem of the missing name list in QuickBooks.
The 12 steps given below will present you with the details for manually restoring your PC.
- Tap the “Windows” key on the keyboard.
- Choose “Programs” from the “Start Menu”.
- Click on “Accessories”.
- Select “System Tools” in the fourth step.
- Moving forward, choose “System Restore”.
- In the pop-up, click on “Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time”.
- Now, hit the “Next” button.
- Select the option of “On this List, Click a Restore Point”. Choose the recent time available for restoring.
- Again, press the “Next” button.
- The window of confirmation will get launched. In this window, press “Next”.
- Now, wait for the restoration process to begin. This will take some time. Try not to interrupt the restoration process.
- When the process of restoration comes to an end, you will have to start over your computer. This is an important step that will give effect to the changes.
Alert: The steps of this fix will work for you only when you perform them in the given sequence. So, make sure that the sequence is correctly followed by you.
The missing name list error on QB can occur due to various reasons like corrupt files, malware, incomplete installations, etc. By running tools like the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and restoring backup, you can hope to do away with this problem.
Once you are done resolving this QB error, we will suggest that you explore the usage of the QuickBooks Automated Password Reset Tool. It will come in handy for resetting your password. Along with that, you should also understand everything about bad debt in QuickBooks. It will improve your knowledge of the software.