When you want to find something in the QuickBooks software, you would go to the search bar and then mention what you are looking for. Sometimes, however, when you try searching, this function may not work. This may happen due to an error in the Window Registries. When such is the cause, finding what the issue is in the registries can become crucial. Once the issue has been found, you should focus on repairing it to ultimately make the QB search feature work. Beyond damaged registries, the QuickBooks search function not working error can emerge due to several other causes. An understanding of these causes can form your approach to settle the problem.
- Why is the Search Function not Working in QuickBooks,Quickbooks Online?
- Fixes For QuickBooks Search Function not Working Error on Qb Online and Versions
Why is the Search Function not Working in QuickBooks,Quickbooks Online?
The search function not working in QuickBooks is a problem that can be seen if you have not updated the software for a long time. There are more such reasons behind the error in the search function such as:
- There might be an error in the Window Registry file that may not let the search function work.
- An obstruction in the Firewall protection or its settings can also cause the QB search not working issue.
- The size of the data in the browser’s cache may be full.
- This function may not work if the search index file is damaged.
Fixes For QuickBooks Search Function not Working Error on Qb Online and Versions
You may encounter conditions when the QuickBooks search function is not working. These conditions may be created by the settings of the firewall on your system when they are on. If you switch off these settings, you can resolve the error in QB. Reinstalling the accounting software may become useful in fixing the problem. A damaged search index can also be renamed for troubleshooting the issue.
Fix 1: Turning Off the Firewall Protection
Sometimes, despite security, the Firewall Protection may cause an issue in QB and disable its functions like search. So, you can turn it off to fix the error. On Windows, the Start button is to be clicked. Head to the control panel. Search for the Firewall option and tap on it. After that, you will have to turn it off in the settings if the QuickBooks search is not working. Then launch your QuickBooks software.
- Reach the “Start” tab on your computer.
- Then move to “Control Panel”.
- Find and click on the “Firewall” button.
- Turn it off.
- After turning off the “Firewall”, go to “QuickBooks”.
- Now, verify if the search function is working.
Note: You may try this fix when QuickBooks 2016 search is not working. Even for the 2017 version, you can try using the fix.
Fix 2: Reinstalling QuickBooks
In case you have not updated QuickBooks, you may start facing the search feature not working error. For eliminating the error, you can uninstall the current QB software and download the latest version. Visit the Windows Start button. The Control Panel menu is to be clicked. Then make use of the Programs tab. After that, you will have to pick the Programs and Features option to further fix the search function not working in QuickBooks.
- Tap on the “Start” option on the computer.
- Select “Control Panel”.
- Move to “Programs”.
- Pick the “Programs and Features” tab.
- Among the given options in the drop-down menu, go for “QuickBooks”.
- Opt for “Uninstall”.
- Hit the “Ok” tab.
- Head to “Next”.
- Look for the “Remove” button.
- Wait for some time until QB gets uninstalled.
- Go to the “Intuit” website.
- Search for “QuickBooks” and download its latest version.
- Once it is downloaded, install it by following all the prompts.
- After it gets installed, check if the error has been resolved.
Note: You may also attempt the above method if QuickBooks online search is not working.
Fix 3: Renaming the Search Index File
Problems can occur in the QB search function due to a damaged search index file. You can rename it and clear the trouble. Open your QuickBooks application and shut down the company file. When you notice that the QuickBooks search is not working after closing the file, press the Windows button. Enter Search Index in the field provided and begin to rename it.
- Launch the “QB” software.
- Close down the company file.
- Tap on the “Windows Start” tab.
- Then type “Search Index” in the provided box.
- Press the search box for the file.
- Hit “Enter”.
- Click the “Window” tab.
- You will be navigated towards the folder.
- Find the folder of “QBW.searchindex”.
- Put “.OLD” at the end of the folder’s name.
- Run the QB company file.
- The icon for “Magnifying Glass” is to be chosen.
- Push “Update to View Information”.
- Look if the update has started.
- Once you see a notification popping up, select “Ok”.
- Keep following the directions appearing on the screen.
- When the update is over, go to the search bar in QB and check it.
Fix 4: Clearing Browser’s Cache
When the size of the cache data in the browser becomes too large, it may start affecting the QB search feature. You can delete the browser’s cache data for making the QB search work. You need to open Google Chrome on the computer and tap on the three vertical dots. Then move to the More Tools option and click on Clear Browsing Data. After clearing it, you will notice that the search function not working in QuickBooks has been settled.
- The browser of “Google Chrome” is to be opened.
- Find three vertical dots on the right side of the page.
- Tap on “More Tools”.
- Then select the “Clear Browsing Data” button.
- Choose the date span for deleting the browsing data.
- A selection can be made among the given options:
- “Advanced Cache”
- For deleting the “Basic” cache, put a tick beside all the boxes and pick “Clear Data”.
- In case you have selected the “Advanced Cache” option, head to “Advanced”.
- Place a check against all the boxes.
- Opt for the “Clear Data” tab.
- You need to give time depending on the size of the cache data.
Thereafter, the cache data will get deleted and the problem in QuickBooks will be solved. You can try searching for something in the software to test the fix.
Fix 5: Repairing Corrupted Windows Registries
A possible cause behind the QuickBooks search not working error may be the corrupted/damaged Window Registries. To remove the cause and repair them, press the Windows icon. Then enter Run in the search box. In the box, mention the specific location of the file that you are going to repair. Next, tap on the Enter tab and search for EntitlementDataStore. Now, you can open the accounting software. Check whether its search function is working.
- Go to the start button of “Windows”.
- In the bar to search, fill in “Run”.
- The run dialog box will open.
- Enter the particular location of the file that is to be repaired.
- Press “Enter”.
- Find “EntitlementDataStore”.
- Now, you will have to launch “QuickBooks” and the company file for registration.
- Go through the instructions until QB is registered.
- Tap on “Save & Close” for finishing the program.
- The search function will start working now.
In the End
Users may come across the QuickBooks search not working error. You may face this problem due to several possible reasons such as the ones discussed here. The different ways to fix the QB search function issue, based on these reasons, were mentioned in the post. With their implementation, the problem should easily get fixed