Recording the sales receipt in QuickBooks is necessary as it serves the description of the purchased products along with the payment proof to the customer. Those who create sales receipts in QuickBooks can also record the revenue of the income statement. In addition, the sales receipt also helps to record the customer payment and post it in the undeposited funds till the upcoming bank deposit. If you are clueless about how to record a sales receipt in QuickBooks Online, we will guide you with easy steps. We will also cover the procedure of recording the sales receipt in QuickBooks Desktop.
This detailed guide talks about the difference between sales receipts and invoices. In addition, we will guide you on how to record sales receipt in QuickBooks Desktop and Online.
Difference Between Sales Receipt and Invoices in QuickBooks
In QuickBooks, the Sales Receipt is somewhat similar to the invoice. However, there is a slight difference between the two. A sales receipt provides the description of the services or products that have been purchased by the customers. Invoices, on the other hand, are issued for the customer to request payments for the purchased items or products. This should be noted that the sales receipts can be used when your customers pay for the products and services without being issued the invoice. Sales receipts in QuickBooks record both the revenue from the cash received and the sale.
Important Note: Sales Receipts contain the payments by credit card, cash, or check. You should use the sales receipt when you have received the full payment from customers at the time of sale.
How to Record Sales Receipt in QuickBooks?
Be it QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop, sales receipts can be easily recorded. All you are required to create a new sales receipt, add the relevant information about the customer and services. After that, you can save, share or print the sales receipt. In the further discussion, we will show you detailed steps for adding the sales receipts in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online.
How to Record Sales Receipt in QuickBooks Desktop?
To record the sales receipt in QuickBooks Desktop, one has to add a customer including the details you wish to be displayed on the sales receipt. If required, you can even add the discount item to the sales receipt. Let’s have a look at the following details:
Create Sales Receipt
To create the sales receipt, you need to select the appropriate customer. If not available, add the details manually for the specific customer and save other details such as payment method, date, sale number, etc.
- From the QuickBooks home screen, go to the “Customer” menu.
- Then, click on the “Create Sales Receipts” or “Enter Sales Receipts” option.
- Now, choose your customer or job using the “Customer: Job” drop-down menu. In case the customer is not available in the list, you can click on the “Add New” button to add a new customer.
- Thereafter, you can enter the required details such as “Sale No.”, “Date”, etc.
- Then, select the payment method.
- From the “Detail” area, you can choose the item that you wish to add as a sale.
- Click the “Save & Close” button.
Note: This should be noticed that the amount and description are added automatically as you add the item. The details are populated on the basis of the unit cost and description entered at the time of setting up the item. If required, you can edit or delete this when you create invoices.
Create Discount Item
In case you wish to apply for the discount then you are required to create the discount item. For that, you can do the following:
- Go to the “Lists” menu.
- Then, click on the “Item List”.
- Click right on the blank screen and choose the “New” button.
- Choose the “Type” drop-down menu.
- Select the “Discount” option.
- Now, add the “Item Name/Number”.
- You can also add a brief description.
- Go to the “Amount or %” field and add the discount percentage or amount. If the amount of discount varies, you can leave this field and add the amount on the sales forms directly.
- Now, switch to the “Account” drop-down menu and select the income account that you wish to use. By doing so, you can track the discounts you offer to the customers.
- Once done, click on the relevant “Tax Code” for a particular item.
- Now, click the “OK” button.
- Click the “Save & Close” button.
By following these steps, you can easily record the sales receipt including the discount item in the QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Record a Sales Receipt in QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online users can create the sales receipts directly from the Customers section. As you enter the details correctly on the sales receipt form, you can save, share, or print the receipt.
- Click on the “New” button located at the top left. This will show a layout of different options.
- Then, click on the “Sales Receipt” option from the “Customer” section.
- When you see a new window for “Create sales Receipt Form”, you can enter the details available on the screen. It includes the following:
- Sales Receipt Date
- Payment Method
- Reference Number
- Deposit to:
- Service date
- Once, you can preview the details. If required, you can take prints.
- After that, you can save and send the sales receipt to the considered customer.
When you share these sales receipts with the customer, they will get an email with the PDF attached. If needed, you can edit the sales receipt, however, the changes will not be reflected in sales receipt emails in the future.
QuickBooks lets you create and send the sales receipt to the customer. It includes all the details related to the product and service the customer has obtained. The sales receipt also includes the amount or discount. As your customer receives the sales receipt, they can proceed with the payment. So, now we have taught how to record a sales receipt in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. Hope you find the guide useful to follow.
Also, learn about how to record the sale of an asset in QuickBooks with this guide.