Lenovo laptops are efficient and offer good performance. With use, however, their performance may become slow. The speed of your device may seem unusual too. To fix all the problems in one go, you can choose to factory reset the Lenovo laptop. Additionally, if you are planning to sell it or give it away, factory-resetting your device will be an ideal option.
Here, you can find different methods to learn how to factory reset Lenovo laptops. These methods will work for Lenovo laptops with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. For Lenovo IdeaPads too, you can try out these methods.
Words of Caution
Prior to factory-resetting your Lenovo laptop or Lenovo IdeaPad, it will be helpful to prepare a backup of your data in case you will be requiring it in future. You may not be able to recover it afterwards. Thus, by creating a backup, you will be able to prevent the loss of your data.
A summary of the methods that we will be covering in this blog has been given here.
- Factory Resetting Lenovo Laptop
- Method 1: How to Do a Factory Reset on a Lenovo Laptop via OneKey Recovery?
- Method 2: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop Without Password Using Repair/Setup Disk?
- Factory Resetting Windows 7 Lenovo Laptop
- Method 1: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop with Windows 7 via Advanced Boot Options?
- Method 2: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop Windows 7 without Password?
- Factory Resetting Windows 8 Lenovo Laptop
- Factory Resetting Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop
- Factory Resetting Lenovo IdeaPad
Factory Resetting Lenovo Laptop
Check out 2 methods to learn how to reset to factory settings on Lenovo laptop. In the first method, you will come across the usage of the OneKey Recovery. In the method followed by this one, you will require either a Repair Disk or Setup Disk. Using the disk, you will be able to do the needful.
Method 1: How to Do a Factory Reset on a Lenovo Laptop via OneKey Recovery?
Check that your Lenovo laptop has a Recovery key above the keyboard or on the side of the device. If it does, then this method can be opted for. You first turn off your device and then press the Recovery key. In the NOVO Button Menu, you can pick System Recovery. In the recovery environment, you can start the recovery to factory reset your Lenovo laptop.
Note: If you do not remember your Lenovo laptop’s password, then this method can help you in factory-resetting.
1. Turn off your Lenovo laptop.
Note: In case due to any error you are unable to turn off your Lenovo laptop, you can remove its battery, place it again, and then try turning it off.
2. Connect your Lenovo laptop to power.
3. Tap the “Recovery”/”NOVO” key. Hold it for 5 seconds.
4. You will see the “NOVO Button Menu”. The “Down Arrow” key needs to be pressed for choosing “System Recovery”.
5. Hit “Enter”.
6. You will enter the “OneKey Recovery” environment now. Pick “Restore from Initial Backup”. Then hit “Next”.
7. Then press “Start”, followed by pressing “Yes”.
8. The process for system recovery will begin. You can read the directions on the display. These directions will help you in configuring the Windows settings of your Lenovo laptop.
Note: This method may not help you factory reset your Lenovo laptop if it lacks “OneKey Recovery”. Also, if on your device the system has been clean-installed, the drive has been cleared, and the Recovery file does not exist, then you can move to the other Lenovo laptops reset to factory settings methods.
Method 2: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop Without Password Using Repair/Setup Disk?
Here, you can know how to reset Lenovo laptop to factory settings in case you have forgotten its password. You will have to insert the Setup or Repair Disk for this. The disk will give you the Repair Your Computer link. Through it, you can select Troubleshoot and reset your Windows computer. Then you can initiate the process to reset your Lenovo laptop with Windows.
1. Insert the “Repair Disk” or “Setup Disk” into your laptop.
2. Boot your Lenovo laptop using the disk.
Note: In case your Lenovo laptop is unable to boot via the “Repair Disk” or “Setup Disk”, Press “F1” or “F2”. This key will give you access to the “UEFI” or “BIOS Settings”. Here, you can change the boot order and boot using the disk.
3. While booting via the “Setup Disk”, press “Next” on the installation screen.
4. Now, press the link for “Repair Your Computer”.
5. The “Choose an Option” screen will be visible. Select “Troubleshoot”.
6. Select “Reset this PC”.
7. From “Remove Everything” and “Keep My Files”, you can select either option as per your preference.
Note: In case “Remove Everything” is chosen, your personal files will be removed from the drive. To prevent your files from deleting, “Keep My Files” should be chosen.
8. Make a selection of your system now.
9. Choose a drive for refreshing. You can choose from “All Drives” or “Only the Drive Where Windows is Installed” as per your preference.
10. Press “Reset”.
Note: You can backup your crucial data, if any, before resetting your system. Remember that you will not be able to recover your data in case it gets erased. Also, keep your Lenovo laptop charged during the process to avoid any disruptions due to lack of power.
Factory Resetting Windows 7 Lenovo Laptop
In this section, we will be assisting the users of Windows 7 Lenovo laptop to factory reset their device. This can be done in 2 ways. In the first method, we will guide you on how to reset Lenovo laptop to factory settings by using the Advanced Boot Options. In the other method, we will tell you how to factory reset your device in the instance wherein you have forgotten the password to sign in.
Method 1: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop with Windows 7 via Advanced Boot Options?
In this Windows 7 Lenovo laptop factory reset method, you can first restart your device. To access the Advanced Boot Options, you can press F8 before you see the logo of Windows. From the options, you can repair your Lenovo laptop. You can read the following directions for complete information on this method.
1. Restart your Windows 7 Lenovo laptop.
2. Press “Start”.
3. Press the arrow near the “Lock” button.
4. Select “Restart”.
5. Tap the “F8” key. Release the key when you see the “Advanced Boot Options”.
6. Prior to the arrival of the “Windows Logo”, tap the “F8” key again.
7. In the “Advanced Boot Options”, the “Down Arrow” key has to be pressed to opt for “Repair Your Computer”.
8. Hit “Enter”.
9. Set the “Language” settings and press “Next”.
10. Sign in with administrative rights. Then click on “Ok”.
11. The “Restore” button can be seen now. Choose “Lenovo Factory Image Restore”.
12. In the window of “Lenovo Factory Image Restore”, press “Next”.
13. Select “Yes” for reformatting your hard drive.
Note: To avoid creating any problems while you factory reset your Lenovo laptop, try not to interrupt the process.
Now, your Lenovo laptop’s system software will be reset to the factory conditions.
Method 2: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop Windows 7 without Password?
Lenovo laptop users with Windows 7 can opt for factory reset with boot. For doing so, you can restart your Lenovo laptop. During the process of startup, you can press the required key for booting. Ensure that you use the recovery environment for booting your Windows 7 device. To learn the directions for this method, you can read below.
1. Initiate this method by restarting your Lenovo laptop.
2. While the startup is running, tap the corresponding key for using the recovery environment to boot your laptop.
Note: The key for booting will depend on your model. Lenovo users can try pressing the “F11” key. In case this key does not work, check the manual of your Lenovo laptop or refer to your manufacturer for the same.
3. In case you are not able to boot, try changing the booting order. Then use a recovery disc for booting your Windows 7 Lenovo laptop.
4. The instructions to proceed ahead will be visible on your screen. Read and administer them.
See to it that the instructions are administered as directed on your screen, lest the above method should fail.
Factory Resetting Windows 8 Lenovo Laptop
If your Windows 8 Lenovo laptop is not working with complete efficiency, you can factory reset it. To factory reset Lenovo laptop with Windows 8, the Advanced Boot Options will aid you. These options are simple to access. The procedure to access these options has been explained below.
Method 1: How can I Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop with Windows 8 Using the Advanced Boot Options?
If you have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8, then you can use the Advanced Boot Options for factory-resetting it. Restart it first and then press F8. Holding the key, you will be able to view the Advanced Boot Options. Here, choose Repair Your Computer. Then select your Language. Now, the factory restore option will be accessible.
Now, let us see the steps for how to do a factory reset on a Lenovo laptop with Windows 8.
1. Check that your system files have been backed up by you.
2. The second step requires you to start your Windows 8 Lenovo laptop again.
3. Your device will now boot. You have to tap the “F8” key. Then hold the key.
4. On the screen of “Advanced Boot Options”, opt for “Repair Your Computer”. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard for making the selection.
5. Now, press “Enter”.
6. Choose “Language” to reset.
7. Press “Next”.
8. You can see the option of “Lenovo Factory Image Restore” now. Select this option.
9. Press “Next”.
10. You will be asked to provide permission to reformat the hard drive. Provide it.
11. Your Windows 8 Lenovo laptop will be restored to the factory settings. Then press “Next”.
The procedure will finish now. Your system will be as good as new.
Factory Resetting Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop
Windows 10 users can factory reset their Lenovo laptop in the easiest way. This can be done right on startup by booting it. To find out how to factory reset Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 from boot during the startup process, you can take a look at the steps in the following section.
Method 1: How to Factory Reset My Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10 on Startup?
Go through the following method to find out how to factory reset Lenovo laptop Windows 10. You can restart your Lenovo laptop and press the Power icon on the sign-in screen. Then you can select Restart and opt for Troubleshoot on the next screen. You can choose to reset your Lenovo laptop now. For every detail needed to do this method, read below.
1. Start your Windows 10 Lenovo laptop.
2. On the sign-in screen, at the bottom-right, you will find a “Power” button. Click on it.
3. Press the “Shift” key when the dropdown options are visible.
4. Now, tap on “Restart”.
5. You will see the “Choose an Option” screen.
Note: In case you cannot start your Lenovo laptop or the sign-in screen does not load, you can boot your device using the installation disc for Windows 10. Then press “Next” and select “Repair Your Computer”. After this, you will find the screen for “Choose an Option”.
6. Click on “Troubleshoot”.
7. Then click on “Reset this PC”.
8. Choose the option of “Remove Everything”.
9. In the interface for “Reset this PC”, choose either “Just Remove My Files” or “Fully Clean the Drive”.
10. You will be able to see certain steps on the display below “Ready to Reset this PC”. Read them. Then select “Reset”.
11. Let your device restart. Again read and follow the steps on the display. The Windows will install again. Make a new account for signing in.
Factory Resetting Lenovo IdeaPad
Many users have tried using the NOVO button of the Lenovo IdeaPad for factory-resetting their device. In case you don’t know how to reset to factory settings on Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad using this button, you can gain all the information necessary to do it in the following section.
Method 1: How to Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad via NOVO Button?
In response to your concern, “How do you factory reset a Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad”, we have suggested a method below. In this, you will learn to use the NOVO button for factory-resetting the device. By pressing it, the System Recovery option will show up. Then you can restart your IdeaPad and do as directed by the prompts.
1. Your Lenovo IdeaPad needs to be connected to your AC power adapter.
2. Locate the “NOVO” button of your device. This will be present near the fan vent provided on the left. Then press this button.
3. Choose the “System Recovery” option.
4. Restart your Lenovo IdeaPad.
5. To assist you further, you will see the on-screen instructions. Do them one by one.
6. Wait till the recovery process finishes. After a while, your Lenovo IdeaPad will be restored to the factory settings.
Note: As a result of something, if you cannot restart your device, then you can still factory reset the IdeaPad. You can first shut down the device in case it is on. The “NOVO” button needs to be pressed now. Then opt for “Lenovo OneKey Recovery System”. Then hit the “Enter” key. Now, wait till your device restores to the factory settings.
This blog has worked excellently to help you with how to reset Lenovo laptop to factory settings on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7. Some of the methods provided above do not even require you to sign in to your Lenovo laptop. Without signing in, you can factory reset your Windows device. Using the other methods as well, you can factory reset it with convenience. After you have restored your laptop to the factory settings, it will efficiently work and with good speed too.