On some occasions, your computer may show you a message saying “Windows video TDR failure atikmpag sys”. This message gets displayed due to the error of TDR failure on your Windows computer. The failure may be seen due to lack of updates or issues in certain settings. Let’s learn more about this issue and properly understand it. The fixes for TDR failure on Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 will also be talked about here.
This blog has been divided into 4 sections. Below you can see what each section is about.
- What is Windows TDR Failure?
- Video TDR Failure Igdkmd32 Sys Windows 8 Fixes
- Video TDR Failure Windows 8.1 Fixes
- Video TDR Failure Nvlddmkm Sys Windows 10 Fixes
- Fix 1: Update/Reinstall Graphics Drivers on Windows 10
- Fix 2: Install Driver Again in Safe Mode on Windows 10
- Fix 3: Clean Windows 10 Components
- Fix 4: Replace Atikmpaq.sys File on Windows 10
- Fix 5: Get Updates for Display Card & Chipset Drivers on Windows 10
- Fix 6: Try Updating AMD Graphic Card Driver on Windows 10
- Fix 7: Change Windows 10 Power Management Settings
- In Summary
What is Windows TDR Failure?
TDR or Timeout, Detection, and Recovery is a component of Windows. The Windows video TDR failure atikmpag sys can occur when no response is received from the Graphics card. When the failure keeps occurring, you may further see the error of the blue screen.
Note: In case you are looking for fixes to resolve the blue screen error on Windows, you can click here to read.
Video TDR Failure Igdkmd32 Sys Windows 8 Fixes
In Windows 8 systems, there can be instances wherein you don’t keep your system completely updated. As a result, the video TDR failure atikmpag sys Windows 8 may affect your system. Getting your system updated can provide relief from this failure. See how this can be done in the following part of the blog.
Fix 1: Download Pending Windows 8 Updates
You may be seeing the video TDR failure igdkmd32 sys Windows 8 error in case the pending updates haven’t been downloaded. Such a cause for this error may be rare but this fix has been acknowledged by many as helpful. In the Control Panel, you can find Windows Update. From here, you can download the pending or any optional Windows updates.
1. In the “Start Menu”, look for the “Control Panel” via “Search”.
2. Scroll and at the bottom select “Windows Update”.
3. Tap the option of “Pending/Optional Updates”. Right-click on this option and select “Hide”.
4. The drivers for the “AMD Card” have to be deselected.
5. Let the updates get completely installed. Then exit the tabs.
6. Start over your computer again.
7. Use the system when it starts over to see if this video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm sys Windows 8 fix worked.
Note: If due to any reason, you would like to delete Windows update files, then you can read here.
Video TDR Failure Windows 8.1 Fixes
Here, we have come up with one of the top fixes for the problem of video_tdr_failure on Windows 8.1. In this, we will show you to use the roll back driver option on your computer. Read ahead to know the steps for doing it.
Fix 1: Roll Back Driver on Your Windows 8.1 Computer
Roll Back Driver is an option provided in your Windows 8.1 computer. Using this option, you can try clearing away the video TDR failure nvlddmkm sys Windows 8.1 error. To find this option, go to the Device Adapter in the Device Manager. Search for your Display Driver and right-tap on it to pick Roll Back Driver. Soon, you will stop seeing this error.
- From the “Start Menu”, launch “Run”.
- Open the “Device Manager” by writing “devmgmt.msc” in “Run”.
- 3. Click on “Display Adapter” for expanding it.
- 4. Look for the “Display Driver” of your system.
- 5. When you have found your “Display Driver”, right-click on it.
- 6. Click on “Roll Back Driver”.
- 7. Exit this tab.
- 8. Start over your Windows 8 computer.
Must Read: How to Delete Windows Update Files?
Video TDR Failure Nvlddmkm Sys Windows 10 Fixes
Are you seeing the “Windows 10 stop code video TDR failure atikmpag sys” error message too often? In 7 ways you can get rid of this error. Explore these ways as you read ahead.
Fix 1: Update/Reinstall Graphics Drivers on Windows 10
The video TDR failure amd Windows 10 error can be settled by reinstalling or updating the graphics drivers. You can do so by opening the Device Manager through the Run dialog box. Tap the arrow located near the Display Adaptors. Then choose to reinstall or update the driver and restart your Windows 10 computer afterwards.
1. Launch “Run” by pressing the “Windows” and “R” keys.
2. In “Run”, type the following and press “Ok”.
3. The “Device Manager” will launch. Press the arrow present near “Display Adaptors”.
4. On your driver, right-click and select “Update Driver”. In case you wish to reinstall it, click on “Uninstall Device”.
5. When it has been uninstalled, go to the website of the manufacturer.
6. Then restart your Windows 10 PC.
7. Use your system to check whether the video TDR failure Windows 10 amd radeon error persists.
Note: For auto-downloading driver updates, you can read another post by us. This will help you learn to update drivers in Windows 10 automatically.
Fix 2: Install Driver Again in Safe Mode on Windows 10
“I am seeing the video_tdr_failure nvlddmkm sys Windows 10 error message on my system. In which way can I quickly fix it?”
You can opt for reinstalling the drivers on your Windows 10 system. Make sure that you do this in the Safe Mode. From System Configuration, you can find the Boot tab and use the Safe Boot option. A detailed approach to this fix can be seen in these 15 steps.
- Open the “Run” dialog box.
- Write “msconfig” in “Run” and press “Enter”.
- Click on “System Configuration”.
- Open the “Boot” tab.
- Click to select “Safe Boot”.
- Press “Apply”. Then click on “Ok”.
- Your Windows 10 computer has to be restarted now. Booting in the “Safe Mode” will automatically begin.
- Open the “Device Manager” once more.
- After expanding the “Display Adapters”, right-click on the “AMD Graphic Card”. Then press “Uninstall”.
- If you have an “Intel Card”, you can repeat step 9 for this as well.
- Press “Ok” to confirm the uninstallation.
- Reboot your computer in the next step. Ensure that this is done in the normal mode.
- Now, install the “Intel Chipset Driver”.
- After installing, start your system again.
- Update your system’s “Graphic Card Drivers” via the manufacturer’s site.
Fix 3: Clean Windows 10 Components
If your Windows 10 computer is heating at an unusual level, then that could be the cause of the TDR failure Windows 10 atikmpag sys. The problem of overheating can show up when dirt begins to gather over the components. Also, the build up of residue can contribute to this cause. You can gently clean the components in a safe manner to stop seeing the TDR failure.
Fix 4: Replace Atikmpaq.sys File on Windows 10
In this fix for the blue screen video_tdr_failure Windows 10 error message, we will tell you how to replace the file which is being seen in the error message. To replace the file, you can open the Hard Disk (C:). Moving on to access the “Windows” folder, you can find “System 32”. To know what you have to do next, you can look at the following 16 steps.
- From your manufacturer’s website, download the most recent drivers for the graphic card.
- 2. Run the “File Explorer”.
- 3. Go to “Hard Disk (C:)”.
- 4. Click on “Windows” in the hard disk.
- 5. Now, select “System 32”.
- 6. Click on the folder labelled as “Drivers”.
- 7. Look for the “atikmdag.sys”/”atikmpag.sys” folder.
- 8. The file you looked for in the seventh step has to be renamed. Add “.old” in the name.
Note: When the video_tdr_failure Windows 10 message appears on the screen, you will see a file name in it. The name of only that file has to be changed.
- In the “ATI Directory”, look for “C:\ATI”.
- Then “atikmdag.sy_”/”atikmpag.sy_” has to be located.
- Ensure that the file located above is the same as the one shown in the error message.
- Make a copy of the file. Then paste it on the “Desktop” in Windows 10.
- Open “Command Prompt”.
- On the basis of the file which was renamed, write “expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys” or “expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys” and hit the “Enter” key.
- The file pasted on your “Desktop” has to be copied now. Paste it in the “Drivers” folder. This will be found in “System 32”.
- Restart your system at the end.
Fix 5: Get Updates for Display Card & Chipset Drivers on Windows 10
A useful solution for the error of nvidia video TDR failure on Windows 10 requires updating the display card and chipset drivers. To do this, you can open the website of your device’s manufacturer. On the website, look for the latest drivers available for the display card. Download it and then install it on your Windows 10 computer.
Fix 6: Try Updating AMD Graphic Card Driver on Windows 10
The AMD graphic card driver can fall out of date and lead to the error message “video_tdr_failure igdkmd64 sys on Windows 10”. To remove the error message, Open the Device Manager and go to the Display Adapter. Right-tap on the AMD Card and select the option to update it. The updates will be automatically searched for. The remaining procedure can be read as follows.
- Open “Run” and write “devmgmt.msc” in it.
- Press the “Enter” key.
- Expand the “Display Adapter” in the “Device Manager”.
- After right-clicking on the “AMD Card”, choose the “Update Driver” option.
- Click on “Search Automatically for the Updated Driver Software”.
- On the off chance that no updates are available, right-click to pick “Update Driver”.
- Now, you have to select “Browse My Computer for Driver Software”.
- Tap on the option of “Let Me Pick from a List of Available Drivers on My Computer’.
- Click on the latest “AMD Driver” in the list.
- Install the driver and reboot your computer. Inspect your system for the occurrences of the video TDR failure igdkmd64 sys on Windows 10.
Must Read: How To Turn Off Automatic Windows 10 Updates?
Fix 7: Change Windows 10 Power Management Settings
The Power Management settings of your system may be responsible for the problem of Windows 10 video TDR failure igdkmd32 sys. To reach these settings, you can tap Hardware and Sound in the Control Panel. In the Power Options, you can click on the Advanced Power Settings and make certain changes. To know these changes, please read ahead.
- Press the “Windows” key.
- Write “Control Panel” in “Search”.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- Click on “Hardware and Sound”.
- Tap on “Power Options”.
- Press the link for “Advanced Power Settings”.
- Click for expanding “PCI Express”.
- Completely turn off “Link State Power Management”.
- Press “Apply”.
- Start your computer again and ensure the failure does not prevail.
The Windows TDR failure issue can be seen when your graphics card and other drivers may not be updated. Along with updating them, there are several ways in which you can deal with this problem. Just like an expert, you will be able to fix the failure with our fixes.