Direct Deposit is one of the best features of QuickBooks. By sending direct deposit via QuickBooks, you can paychecks to the employees or vendors while saving plenty of time. However, in some instances, you may have to stop the direct deposit especially when you enter the wrong details regarding payment or employees. There can be other reasons as well due to which you require to cancel the direct deposit. Those who are not aware of how to cancel direct deposit in QuickBooks can read this guide till the end.
This comprehensive guide highlights the deadlines of direct deposits and how to stop direct deposits in QuickBooks. Along with this, we have covered other details related to the direct deposit in QuickBooks.
- Read the Deadlines of Direct Deposits
- How Can I Stop a Direct Deposit in QuickBooks Online/Desktop?
- What to Do When the Direct Deposit Does Not Display in the Send Payroll Data Screen?
Read the Deadlines of Direct Deposits
Before you stop the direct deposits for a specific employee or vendor, we want to draw your attention to the deadlines of direct deposits. Continue reading to know more:
- Intuit will no longer cancel the Direct Deposit if the Direct Deposit has already been offloaded for the ACH process.
- If you are canceling the process of direct deposit then make sure you do it before 5:00 PM and two banking days before the date of a paycheck. As an example, if the paycheck date is Saturday then you should stop or cancel the check before Thursday.
- If you void the direct deposit check in QuickBooks Desktop and then you send the void to Intuit after the offload time, it will not prevent the Direct Deposit from posting it to the bank account of an employee.
How Can I Stop a Direct Deposit in QuickBooks Online/Desktop?
You can easily stop the direct deposit in QuickBooks, however, it is important to check the processing status of your payroll. Once you determine the payroll status, you can void or cancel the check accordingly.
Let’s have a look at the following steps to learn how to stop direct deposit in QuickBooks Online and Desktop.
Step 1: Check the Payroll Status
First of all, you will have to check the processing status of the payroll. For that, you are required to go to the Employee tab and open the Account/Billing information from the My Payroll Service page. After logging into your Intuit account, you can view the payroll activity from the direct deposit section.
This should be noted that to view the direct deposit activity, the Direct Deposit PIN will be required. Once you enter the correct pin, you can search for the payroll with a check that you want to stop in the QuickBooks account.
For detailed steps, you can continue pursuing the following steps:
- Open the “QuickBooks” account and go to the “Employees” menu.
- Then, click on the “My Payroll Service” option.
- After this, click on the “Account/Billing Information”.
- Now, you can log in to the “Intuit Account” with the correct sign-in credentials.
- Thereafter, you can click on the “View Payroll Activity” from the “Direct Deposit” section.
- Once done, add the “Direct Deposit PIN”.
- At this point, you can find the payroll transmission along with the check that you want to stop.
Now that you can find the check-in your account, you can stop the check from sending it to the employee or vendor via QuickBooks.
Step 2: Void or Cancel the Pay Check
If you are planning to void or cancel the check, you should make sure that you do it before 5:00 PM pacific time. Also, it should be two days before the banking data before the date of the paycheck.
To void the check, one has to pursue the following instructions:
- Go to the “Employees” menu.
- Click on the “Edit/Void Paychecks” option.
- From the “Edit/Void Paychecks” screen, you can edit both the “Show paychecks from/through dates to check date.
- Once done, click on the “Tab” key on your keyboard.
- After clicking on the check-in question, click on the “Void” button.
- Once you receive the pop-up, click the “Yes” and choose the “Void” button.
- At this point, you can allow the terms and conditions for voiding the paycheck.
- Now, repeat the same steps if you want to void more checks.
- When you are done voiding the check, close the “Edit/Void paychecks page.
- Now, navigate to the “Employees” tab.
- Then, click on the “Send Payroll Data”.
- Here, choose the “Send” button.
Note: At this moment, you will not see any direct deposit checks to share because this step lets the QuickBooks program connect with a server so that it can know that the check has been modified in QuickBooks and it will be deleted from the direct deposit.
Once you are done voiding the paychecks, make sure you verify it from the bank register through which you pay your employees. Here, the memo line will display the changes in the check. This should be noted that you will not receive any confirmation repost for the paycheck you have voided.
What to Do When the Direct Deposit Does Not Display in the Send Payroll Data Screen?
There can be instances when you have voided the check but it is not showing on the Send Payroll Data page. If that is the case, you just need to delete the details from the Memo field and then void the check again. Read the following steps to understand better:
- First of all, open the paycheck you have voided.
- Now, go to the “Memo” field and delete all the information.
- Then, click the “Save and Close” button.
- After that, open the paycheck again.
- This time, you need to click right on it and choose the “Void Paycheck” option.
- Select the “Save and Close” button.
By following these steps, the voided paycheck will show up in the Send Payroll Data screen. Remember that these steps should only be performed when you edit or modify the direct deposit paycheck in QuickBooks.
How to Confirm If the Direct Deposit Check Has Stopped Successfully?
Although you have learned how to stop direct deposit in QuickBooks, confirming the action is also important for every user. As we stated earlier, QuickBooks does not send any confirmation report when you void or cancel the direct deposit paycheck. Hence, it is your duty to confirm if the check has been voided or stopped successfully in QuickBooks.
This should be noted that in the Items to Send page, QuickBooks will show the status as Voided paychecks instead of Modified paychecks. It also shows the voided checks in total.
Sending the direct deposit to the employees or vendors saves your time. Also, it is a fast and effective way to send payments. But, if you ever have to stop or cancel the direct deposit in QuickBooks, you can do it easily. Here, we have shown you how to stop direct deposit in QuickBooks in detail. We hope you have found this guide useful to follow.