Certain users of QuickBooks had been witnessing the error 6189 and 816 code on their systems. The emergence of this error code can be due to several causes. This blog will define the meaning of this QuickBooks error code. Along with that, you can also learn the causes of this error with us. Finally, we will move on to learning the simple-to-perform fixes for this error code. You will be happy to know that with each fix, we have mentioned all the steps you will need to execute them.
Let us now start reading ahead.
A summary of this blog can be found here. Below you can take a look at it:
- What is the Meaning of the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816?
- What are the Causes of the QuickBooks Error Code 6189 816?
- How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 Code?
- Fix 1: Repair the File Discrepancy
- Fix 2: Restart Every Computer and Server
- Fix 3: Try Moving the Company Files to the Local Hard Drive
- Fix 4: Turn off All the Processes of QuickBooks
- Fix 5: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool on Your Computer
- Fix 6: Implement Quick Fix My Program Using the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Fix 7: Implement QuickBooks Database Server Manager via the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Fix 8: Repair the Error via QBRefresher Tool
What is the Meaning of the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816?
QuickBooks error 6189 816 can be observed on your system when several users are trying to access a certain company file via the single-user mode. It will be important to know that sometimes a discrepancy can occur between the company file and transaction file, not forget to take file backup in QuickBooks. This discrepancy can result in the error code 6189 816.
As per certain users of QuickBooks, the error code 6189 and 816 was seen when changes were made to their computers. However, their systems were unable to accept them. Thus, their error started bothering the QuickBooks users.
When this Intuit QuickBooks error emerges, the active window will crash down. Instead of crashing, the active window of the program may begin to slowly work. In certain cases, the computer screens of the users can get stuck. With such signs showing on your system, you may not be able to smoothly work.
What are the Causes of the QuickBooks Error Code 6189 816?
We have identified several causes of the QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816. We have listed them here for improving your knowledge about this error’s causes.
1. The main cause of this error code is when several users try opening the company file using the single-user mode.
2. A failure in updating the file is the second important cause of the error code 6189 and 816
3. When the file of the transaction log mismatches the company file, you can see this error.
4. Data corruption in the file is the next cause of this problem.
How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 Code?
The fixes mentioned here have been well-researched. We have taken care that these fixes are simple enough for you to administer them on your own. We will advise you to first read every step of the fix and then only execute it.
Fix 1: Repair the File Discrepancy
In the section of the causes, we read that when the file of the transaction log mismatches with your company file, the QuickBooks error code 6189 816 will be seen. In this scenario, you can ensure that you are using the same computer system in which the company file has been saved by you. Then the file can be renamed. Be assured that doing so will not lead to the loss of your data.
1. Access the “Company Folder”.
2. Look for the “Company File” in the folder.
3. Once found, right-click on the “Company File” and tap on “Rename”.
4. Now, the “Transaction Log File” has to be renamed.
5. Exit your system.
6. Launch “QuickBooks” on your system.
7. Sign in to your company file.
8. The final step is to ensure that the error code 6189 816 has been fixed.
Fix 2: Restart Every Computer and Server
In this fix, we will teach you to restart every computer as well as the server. By doing so, the complete system will be fully reset. Thus, the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 will not show up on your system. To perform this fix, you can start the server computer and all the workstations again. Then you need to run the QuickBooks Desktop on the server computer. After that, you can run the QuickBooks desktop on all the workstations.
The step-by-step way of doing this fix has been discussed here. Let’s read it.
1. Start the server computer again.
Note: The server computer is the one which is hosting the company files.
2. Start every workstation again.
Note: The workstations refer to all the computers that are connected to that network which does not host the company files.
3. On the server computer, you need to run the “QuickBooks Desktop”.
4. Then run the “QuickBooks Desktop” on every workstation.
In case QuickBooks successfully opens, then this fix has worked well for you.
Fix 3: Try Moving the Company Files to the Local Hard Drive
The QuickBooks company file may have been placed on a driver that is either removable or online. So, in the next fix for the QuickBooks error code 6189 816, we will suggest that you move the company file to the local hard drive. This should help in resolving this error code.
Fix 4: Turn off All the Processes of QuickBooks
Several users have shared that after turning off all the processes of QuickBooks, they did not witness the QuickBooks error 6189 816. Let’s see if the same works for you too. For doing so, you can first sign in as the System Administrator on your computer. Then using the Task Manager, you can choose the Users option. Here, you can find all the processes of the software and press the End Task button. Finally, using the Multi-user Mode, you can access the company file.
1. Sign in on your computer hosted by the server as the “System Administrator”.
2. Run the “Task Manager”. For this, press the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” key.
3. Click on “Users” for viewing every process which the users have started.
4. Select every QuickBooks process.
5. In the next step, tap on “End Task”.
6. Now, run the company file using the “Multi-user Mode”.
Fix 5: Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool on Your Computer
It will be helpful to know that the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool has been built for solving errors such as the QuickBooks error 6189 816. If you don’t have this tool, then you can download it. Install this tool and then run it. As it runs, you will come across two options. You need to select the option of Network Connectivity Only. This is followed by providing your administrator password.
To know the complete steps, please read below.
1. Download the “QuickBooks File Doctor Tool” and install it.
2. Running this tool is the next step.
3. You will find 2 options displayed on your screen, “Both File Damage and Network Connectivity” and “Network Connectivity Only”. Make a selection of the second option. This option will help in identifying the damaged/corrupted” files. Additionally, this option will repair the 6189 816 error code on QuickBooks.
4. Provide the “Admin Password” when you are prompted to do so.
5. You will be asked if the file is placed on the “Server” or the “Workstation”. Pick the right option.
6. Tap on “Proceed” to finish this fix.
Fix 6: Implement Quick Fix My Program Using the QuickBooks Tools Hub
Quick Fix My Program is an option provided in the QuickBooks Tools Hub. By implementing it, you can easily fix the QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816. In the following 11 steps, we will teach you to first download the QuickBooks Tools Hub. After its successful installation, you can open it. You need to opt for the Program Problems option. Then you will find Quick Fix My Program. Tap on it and then run the QuickBooks Desktop to access the data file.
1. If you are using “QuickBooks”, then exit it.
2. Download the “QuickBooks Tools Hub”. Ensure that you are downloading the latest version of it.
3. The file needs to be saved now in a preferred location.
Note: In case the QuickBooks Tools Hub has already been downloaded on your system, you can check that its version is the most recent one. To check the same, you can go to the “Home” tab. At the bottom, on the right, the version can be found. As an alternative, you can click on “About” and check the version.
4. Open the downloaded file “QuickBooksToolHub.exe”.
5. The instructions on your screen will guide you with the remaining steps.
6. When you see the “Terms and Conditions”, accept them.
7. After the installation is over, click twice on the icon available on the “Desktop” of Windows. Then the “QuickBooks Tools Hub” will get launched.
Note: In case there is no icon on the “Desktop” for opening the tools hub, search for “QuickBooks tools Hub” in the “Search Box” of the “Start Menu”. Then click-open it.
8. When the tools hub is running, click on “Program Problems”.
9. Tap on “Quick Fix My Program”.
10. Then open the “QuickBooks Desktop”.
11. Access the data file. The error 6189 816 should not appear now.
Fix 7: Implement QuickBooks Database Server Manager via the QuickBooks Tools Hub
The QuickBooks Tools Hub gives you the option of implementing the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the server. Several users have been able to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 6189 816 by implementing it. The QuickBooks Database Server Manager can be found in the option of Network Issues. After running it, you will find the company files. You can choose the QuickBooks Scan option. Then the firewall permissions will be automatically fixed.
The complete steps of this fix have been cited here.
1. In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, click on “Network Issues”.
2. Choose “Quickbase Database Server Manager”
Note: You may be prompted for installing QuickBooks on the server, in case it has not been installed.
3. Now, you will see the company file or files. Click on “Start Scan” in the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
Note: In case you cannot see the company file or files, click on “Browse”. Then press “Start Scan”.
4. With the help of the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”, the firewall permissions will automatically get repaired. After the scanning process is complete, click on “Close”.
5. Then on the server computer, as well as the workstations, launch the “QuickBooks Desktop”.
Fix 8: Repair the Error via QBRefresher Tool
Using the QBRefresher Tool, every program that is running in the background will get closed. Thus, any of these programs which may be the cause of the QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816 will also get closed. As a result of this, you will stop seeing this error code.
Below, you can see how this tool has to be downloaded and implemented.
1. Download the “QBRefresher Installation File”. Then install it.
2. The file has to be saved in a convenient location.
3. If QuickBooks is open and you are working on it, then finish the work. After that, exit every QuickBooks Desktop version that is open.
4. Tap twice on the “QBRefresher.exe File” to run it.
5. Go through the directions on the screen to continue.
6. Then start the “QBRefresher Tool” for at least 30 seconds.
7. After the tool has finished working, you need to launch “QuickBooks” to ensure that the error code has been repaired.
The error code 6189 and 816 on QuickBooks is very common. Whenever you experience it, without seeing it as a complex problem, you can execute the fixes shown above. When carefully executed, the fix will be successful. And the Intuit QuickBooks error code will get repaired.
We hope this blog made it easier for you to understand the error 6189 816 on QuickBooks. For suggestions or feedback of any kind, you can let us know via the comment section.