Seeing the message “Error 15215: Unable to Verify Digital Signature” indicates that QuickBooks may not be able to work as it normally does. Accompanied by this error message, your Windows computer may begin to crash as you run the accounting software. In addition, you may notice a pop-up for the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 frequently opening on your system. For those of you who would like to fix this Intuit QB error on their own, we have cited the best resolving measures in this post. The fixes shown in this post will be apt for QuickBooks on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. Also, they can be applied to QuickBooks 2013 and 2014.
Note: QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 is also known as QuickBooks 2013 Error 15215 and Error 15215 QuickBooks 2014.
For easily navigating to the meaning, causes, and fixes of this QuickBooks error, you can find help here:
- What is the QuickBooks Maintenance Release Error 15215?
- Causes of the QuickBooks Maintenance Release Error 15215 (2014,2013)
- Fixes for the Maintenance Release Error 15215 in QuickBooks
- Fix 1: Reboot Your System
- Fix 2: Configure the Windows Firewall Service
- Fix 3: Manually Install QuickBooks Updates
- Fix 4: Perform a Clean boot on Windows
- Troubleshooting QuickBooks Desktop Maintenance Release Error 15215
- Fix 1: Run Windows in the Selective Startup Mode
- Fix 2: Sign in With Admin Rights to Access QuickBooks Desktop
- Fix 3: Adjust Internet Options on Windows via Internet Explorer
- Fixes to Resolve the QuickBooks 2013 Error 15215
- Fixing QuickBooks 2014 Maintenance Release Error 15215
What is the QuickBooks Maintenance Release Error 15215?
The maintenance release error 15215 in QuickBooks denotes that the software has been unsuccessful in verifying a digital signature. Also, a background application may be yielding conflicts on your system. These conflicts may be affecting the functions of the accounting software when it is downloading the updates for payroll. The 15215 error can be seen in QuickBooks, QuickBooks 2013, and QuickBooks 2014.
Related Error: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15227?
Causes of the QuickBooks Maintenance Release Error 15215 (2014,2013)
An error such as the code 15215 can persist in QuickBooks because of several reasons. Let us look at some of these reasons below:
- The settings of Internet Explorer may be incorrect.
- Your Windows system may have been affected by a virus or malware.
- The QB program may not have been completely installed on your computer.
- This error’s presence on QuickBooks Desktop can indicate misconfigured setup.
- System digital signature may be missing.
- Misconfigured settings of the firewall can also result in the error 15215 in QuickBooks 2014, 2013, or any other version.
Fixes for the Maintenance Release Error 15215 in QuickBooks
For troubleshooting the maintenance release error 15215, your system can be rebooted. Misconfigured Windows Firewall service can often result in this error. You can properly configure this service. In certain instances, manually updating the QB software can be of help for deleting the 15215 error. When this QuickBooks error is experienced on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers, the clean boot process can be initiated. The error should stop turning up.
To learn the directions for executing these fixes for the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215, you can keep reading.
Fix 1: Reboot Your System
Sometimes there can be minor bugs in your system. You may be using QuickBooks on it and these bugs may be causing interference. These interferences may be the reason for the occurrence of the maintenance release error 15215 in QB. Your system can be rebooted for clearing the bugs as well as this error.
The rebooting process can be initiated by restarting your computer. In the Start Menu, the Shutdown button will be given. Using the button, the Restart option can be accessed. Followed by restarting, you can run the accounting software again to check that the error has been removed.
- Tap the “Windows” key.
- Press the button for “Shutdown”
- Select the “Restart” option.
- Wait for your computer to shut down and start again on its own.
- Once it starts again, you have to run “QuickBooks”.
- Ensure that the 15215 error is not present now.
Fix 2: Configure the Windows Firewall Service
On your computer, the Windows Firewall can sometimes block a few programs. In the block list, QuickBooks may be present. Thus, it may have been blocked. While the attempts are made to update payroll, the accounting software may be facing connectivity issues due to the server. Consequently, the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 would be emerging.
Configuring the Windows Firewall service will be a good workaround for the error. You can start configuring it by visiting the Control Panel. In Windows Security, select Firewall & Network Protection. Then move to Advanced Settings to execute the remaining directions.
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Go to “Windows Security”.
- Select “Firewall & Network Protection”.
- Enter “Advanced Settings”.
- Right-tap on “Inbound Rules”.
- Choose “New Rule”.
- Visit the section of “Rule Type”.
- Opt for “Port”.
- Now, click on “Specific Local Ports” from the first set of radio icons.
- Make sure that you enter “Local Ports” separated by a comma.
- Click on “Next”.
- Choose “Allow the Connection”.
- Press “Next”.
- Pick your “Network Type”.
- Ensure that all the options are checked in case you switch from one network to another.
- Then click on “Next”.
- Enter the name for your new rule.
- Click the “Finish” button.
Fix 3: Manually Install QuickBooks Updates
It is possible that you may not have updated QuickBooks. Therefore, the maintenance release error like the code 15215 may be seen in the software. You can prefer to manually update QuickBooks to do away with the error. You can choose the option of Update QuickBooks. Then you can check whether or not the correct product has been opted for. Followed by this, you can select Change as well as QuickBooks Product. The Update button should appear now. This button can be pressed for continuing.
To give you a better idea of this fix for the QB error 15215, we have stated all the required steps below:
- Go to the “Update QuickBooks” option.
- Make sure that the correct product is selected.
- Now, click on the “Change” option.
- Then select “QuickBooks Product”.
- Click on the “Update” button.
- Select the location for the new file to be saved.
- Choose the “Save” button.
- Visit the location of the file that you have saved.
- Double click on the “Install the update” button.
Installing the updates for QuickBooks can take some time. When the updates get completely installed, you will be requested to restart your computer. Restarting it will be necessary for applying the updates. After this, you can verify that the software has been updated to its latest version. When the same has been verified, you will find that the maintenance release error has stopped occurring in QuickBooks on your computer.
Fix 4: Perform a Clean boot on Windows
Many of you may know that performing a clean boot for your Windows computer can help in avoiding conflicting programs. Since such programs can generate the error 15215 in QuickBooks, this fix should work. For those of you who are bothered by this QuickBooks maintenance release problem on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10, this fix can be effective.
It will be of use to know that for carrying out a clean boot on different versions of Windows, the steps may not be the same. Therefore, we have separately outlined the steps for these versions. In the following parts, these steps can be found.
Option 1: Clean Booting Windows 7 Computers
Errors like the QB maintenance release error 15215 tend to occur when something is not right with your computer. On Windows 7, this error can be troubleshot by clean booting the computer. To start this process, you can head to the Start Menu or press the Windows key. In Search, write MSConfig. For continuing, you may have to type in the administrator password. Soon, you will be in the General tab.
The readers can know the steps that have to be performed via the General tab by reading further.
- Start your Windows 7 computer.
- Sign in using the administrator rights.
- Click on “Start”.
- Write “MSConfig” in the “Search” option.
- Press “Enter”.
- You may be asked to provide the admin password. Enter it.
- Open the “General” tab.
- In this step, “Load Startup Items” has to be unchecked.
- Visit the tab of “Services”.
- Choose the option of “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
- Tap on “Disable All”.
- Now, select “Ok”.
- After this, you can restart your computer.
Note: In Option 1, Option 2, and Option 3, we put forth the methods for clean booting Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 systems. When the process is over, remember to run QuickBooks. See to it that the 15215 error code is no longer found in it.
Option 2: Running the Clean Boot Process on Windows 8 and 8.1
Clean booting is a useful process that can clear the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 on Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 computers. On systems with these versions, this process can be started by writing MSConfig in Search. It will launch the System Configuration window. Look for Services in the window. Then hit a click on the option of Hide All Microsoft Services. After hiding them, open the Startup tab. The tab will help you in running the Task Manager. Now, you can complete the remaining steps of the clean boot process.
- Select the “Search” option in the “Start Menu” on Windows 8/8.1.
- Enter “MSConfig” in “Search”.
- Press “Enter”.
- The window of “System Configuration” will open. In it, click on “Services”.
- Click on “Hide All Microsoft Services”.
- The “Disable All” option has to be selected.
- Move to the tab titled “Startup”.
- The option of “Open Task Manager” has to be preferred.
- Every item given here has to be chosen.
- Push the button for “Disable”.
- Exit the “Task Manager”.
- Visit the “Startup” tab one more time.
- In the end, tap on “Ok”.
Option 3: Doing a Clean Boot on Windows 10
Windows 10 computers can show the 15215 maintenance release issue. The users can clean boot their computers via the Run box. The MSConfig command will have to be entered for running the clean boot process. The command will help you find System Configuration. Using this, you can go to Services. Select the option for hiding all the services of Microsoft. Then press Disable All. The steps followed by this will have to be executed via the Task Manager.
- You will be required to make a local user account on your Windows 10 system.
- Tap the following keys in a combination:
- “Windows” Key + “R” Key
- Input “MSConfig” in “Run”.
- To continue, tap on “Enter” or “Ok”.
- In the “System Configuration” window, visit the “Services” tab.
- Choose the “Hide All Microsoft Services” option.
- Pick “Disable All”.
- Click on the tab for “Startup”.
- Select “Open Task Manager”.
- Choose each item for disabling it.
- Click on “Disable”.
- You can close “Task Manager” now.
- Enter the “Startup” tab.
- Press “Ok”.
Related Error: Error 15241 in QuickBooks
Troubleshooting QuickBooks Desktop Maintenance Release Error 15215
As you find the 15215 maintenance release error on QuickBooks Desktop, make no delay in running the software using the administrator rights. Should the error persist even now, you can start your Windows system, on which the accounting software is running, and start the Selective Startup Mode. In addition, you can check whether Internet Explorer is causing this error. To repair the browser, Internet Options can be adjusted.
Fix 1: Run Windows in the Selective Startup Mode
On facing the error 152125 in QuickBooks, running Windows via the Selective Startup Mode will be a suitable fix. To start this mode, the command MSConfig can be executed using Run. The command will take you to System Configuration Utility. In General, you will see Selected Startup. Choose and go to Load Startup. Press Save and the Selective Startup Mode will start running.
- Begin with opening “Run”. You can push the “Windows” and “R” keys together to open it.
- Write “MSConfig” in the box.
- Select “Ok”.
- Let the “System Configuration Utility” window open.
- Visit the “General” tab.
- Tap on the “Selected Startup” option.
- Ensure that “Load Startup” is unchecked.
- Choose “Save”.
- Click on “Ok”.
- Restart your system. You will automatically reach the “Selective Startup Mode”.
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Download your current “Tax table”.
- Open “Run” as directed in Step 1.
- Now, type “MSConfig” in it.
- Press “Ok”.
- In the “System Configuration Utility” window, mark the “Normal Startup” box.
- Press “Ok” one more time.
- Download the payroll updates for the software.
Note: You may suspect, after executing this fix, that there may be certain conflicting programs in the startup items. The programs being problematic, the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 may be arising. These programs can be removed to prevent the error in the future.
Fix 2: Sign in With Admin Rights to Access QuickBooks Desktop
In QuickBooks Desktop, the 15215 maintenance release error is less likely to emerge when the admin rights are available to you. Meaning to say, the accounting software can be accessed using the admin rights. Thus, the error will not be seen. For obtaining these rights, you can exit the software. You can search it in the Start Menu. The results will display QuickBooks Desktop. Right-click on it and choose the option of Run as Administrator.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop” on your system.
- Visit the “Search” box in the “Start Menu”.
- Enter “QuickBooks”.
- Select “QuickBooks Desktop” from the results. Right-click on it and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Press “Yes” when you receive a confirmation prompt.
Lastly, check that the QuickBooks maintenance release error 15215 is not occurring.
Fix 3: Adjust Internet Options on Windows via Internet Explorer
For doing away with the 15215 error in QuickBooks, Internet Options can be adjusted on Windows. These options can be adjusted using Internet Explorer. In this browser, Advanced Settings will be given. Internet Options can be found here. You need to make sure that the option of Use TLS 1.0 has been enabled while Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 have not been selected. Once the suitable changes have been made, the QuickBooks error should stop coming up.
- Exit “QuickBooks Desktop” if you are using it on Windows.
- Open “Internet Explorer”.
- In the browser, select “Tools”.
- Switch to “Internet Options”.
Note: The options shown in step 7 may not be visible when an old version of “Internet Explorer” is being used.
- Only the “Use TLS 1.0” option has to be selected.
- Press “Ok”.
- Now, you can close “Internet Explorer”.
- After this, restart your Windows computer.
- Open “QuickBooks” again.
- Download the updates for QuickBooks in case they are available.
Fixes to Resolve the QuickBooks 2013 Error 15215
The QuickBooks 2013 users can use several ways for fixing the 15215 maintenance release issue. Among all, updating the payroll is the most effective fix for this error. The updates should be manually downloaded and installed. For downloading them, you will require the correct credentials for signing in to your Company File.
We have explained this fix in detail in the following sub-section. You will be advised to read it.
Fix 1: Manually Get the Updates for Payroll
One of the best ways to deal with the QuickBooks 2013 error 15215 is to update the payroll. Since the updates for the same may not have been downloaded, this QuickBooks error may keep recurring.
To manually get the updates for payroll, you can sign in to your Company File. Then you can launch the Locate Employees tab. From the tab, make a selection for Get Update for Payroll. Afterward, you can press the Update Now tab.
- You need to be signed in to your “QB Company File”.
- After signing in, click on “Locate Employees”.
- Select “Get Update for Payroll”.
- A new window should appear. In it, press the button labeled “Update Now”.
The updates for payroll will begin now. They may take some time to get downloaded. Later, you can reopen QuickBooks 2013. It may not display the error 15214 once the updates for payroll have been applied.
Fixing QuickBooks 2014 Maintenance Release Error 15215
Several users of QB 2014 have shared that fixing the problems related to the internet connection can also resolve the 15215 error. Prior to mending the internet connection problems, you can view the status of the network. Once the status has been checked and the internet connection begins to work, as usual, you may not find this error any longer.
Below, you can get more information for troubleshooting the QuickBooks 2014 maintenance release error 15215.
Fix 1: Check the Network Status to Verify Your Internet Connection
Problems with your internet connection may lead to the 15215 error in the QuickBooks 2014 year version. To confirm the cause, you can check the network status. Its status will let you know whether your internet connection is properly working.
By pressing the Windows key, you can open the Start Menu. Visit Settings from the menu. Look for Network & Internet and then view the status. The status will indicate whether there is a need for repairing your internet connection. Should you require to repair it, contacting your internet service provider or ISP will be ideal.
Note: The directions given in this section will be the most suitable for those who are facing this QuickBooks 2014 error on Windows 10.
- Press “Start”.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Opt for “Network & Internet”.
- Look at the network’s “Status”.
The status of the network will help you know whether or not your internet connection is working. Based on the status, you can take a suitable measure for fixing the connection if required.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We will now be reading certain questions that are frequently asked. Even though we have tried to give you every important piece of information relating to the QuickBooks error 15215, you may still be having certain questions in your mind. The following FAQs can ensure that the answer to your questions is provided.
Rebooting the system on which you’re using QuickBooks is one way to resolve the 15215 error. Other than this fix, you can try configuring the Windows Firewall service. When this service has been misconfigured, such an error may keep occurring.
The maintenance release error 15215 in QB can be simply defined as a digital signature verification problem. Since the accounting software by Intuit may be unable to verify the signature, you may be seeing this error.
If you are using QuickBooks on Internet Explorer, then the 15215 error may be occurring due to the incorrect settings of the browser. On your Windows PC, you may see this error because of a virus/malware.
Maintenance release errors such as the error 15215 can interfere with the operations of QuickBooks. Usually, when the system digital signature is not found, this error can be observed. On different year versions of the software such as 2013 and 2014, seeing this error is usual. The contents of this post would have helped you in understanding this error better. Also, the fixes shown for this problem would have helped you in clearing it on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. If you would like to mention any suggestions for this post, then we will be happy to receive them.
Some of you may be bothered by the QuickBooks File Doctor crashes error. Tap here to know what you can do when this error takes place.