QuickBooks accounting software improves its features every year. One of the best features is QuickBooks auto data recovery Tool. This particular tool plays a major role in recovering damaged or lost QuickBooks files.
It often happens when the users lose their QuickBooks files or the files get damaged due to some issues. And, this affects the whole business operations in QuickBooks. Luckily, there is QuickBooks Auto Recovery tool that assists you to come out of this situation.
Using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool, all the damaged files can be recovered securely. Basically, this tool creates a backup for the QuickBooks Company File and also allows you to use the auto-replication feature so that it can create a duplicate of the company files (.QBW) and transaction log file (.QBW.tlg) of QuickBooks.
In this article, you will understand how you can use the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool in order to recover the damaged or lost QuickBooks company files.
What is Quickbooks Auto Data Recovery Tool?
QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery or ADR is a quite helpful tool to backup all the company data. The tool allows you to use its essential features. For instance, the tool uses current Transaction Log File and a copy of QuickBooks company file that helps to restore the lost transactions. So if your QuickBooks company file has been lost then QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool can help you to restore it.
ADR helps the users to recover the lost files in two different ways.
- The first one is to recreate the lost transactions with the current transaction log file and also a copy of company files.
- Secondly, recreate the transactions of the last few hours along with a copy of the company file (.QBW) and the transaction log file (.QBW.tlg).
Things to Keep in Mind Before Using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool
Now there are a few things you need to know about before you start using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool to recover files.
- If you use QuickBooks Pro, Enterprise, or Premier solutions for Windows then you can take advantage of this QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool.
- This particular recovery tool is not present in the Accountant Editions.
- The tool can backup the file with 1.5GB minimum file size. In case the file size is greater than the 1.5GB then QuickBooks would not be able to create the (Auto Data Recovery) ADR file.
- To get better results from this tool you need to make sure that you have the latest version of QuickBooks software.
How to Use QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery Tool?
To recover the lost data, you can learn how to use this QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool. Below are the following solutions you can go through with.
Use original .TLG file with .QBW.adr or Auto Data Recovery File
The first solution is to utilize the Original Transaction Log File and the Auto Data Recovery version of the company file in order to recover all the recent transactions. By following the steps below, you can get the things done.
- Firstly, you need to make a new folder on your desktop and name this folder as QBTest.
- Then, you can open the folder where the company files are stored. You can also check the location of your company files in the Production information page and No Company Open Window.
- After this, you can search for .tlg file in the company file folder. (The file you are looking for will have the same name as your company file name)
- If you are not able to find the .tlg file then you may go through the simple steps mentioned below.
- Press Windows + E key in order to open the File Explorer.
- Select Organize option and choose the Folder to look for options such as Windows 10,8.1 and 8.
- Now you can select the View option in order to select the File name extension.
- After that, you can select the Hide Extension for the known file types option.
- Lastly, you can Apply these settings and click the Ok button to save the actions.
- Once you find the .tlg file, you can copy it and paste it to the folder you created before under the name QBTest.
- Thereafter, you can open the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery folder. You will find this folder in the same location where your company file is present.
- And now, you can copy the .QBW.adr file and then paste it in the newly created QBTest folder. Finally you have both the files (.tlg.file and QBW.adr)in the same folder.
- Next to this, you need to open the QBTest folder and click right on the .QBW.adr file so that you can select the Rename option.
- Here, you will have to remove .adr from the file name which is mentioned in the end of the name.
- Now you can launch the QuickBooks and open your company file which you have saved in the QBTest folder.
- Then, you can check if the transactions are there in your file.
- After that, you can verify the data and for that, you can go to File -> select Utilities and go to Verify Data.
- Lastly, you can move the damaged file to another location. Make sure that you shift a copy of QBTest to the original location.
QuickBooks ADR Files: Use .TLG.adr and .QBW.adr Files
In the second solution, you are required to use both auto data recovery version; .QBW and .TLG files. By following this solution, the transactions of the last 12 hours will be recovered.
- First of all, create a new folder on your desktop.
- Give this folder a name; QBTest.
- Now with the help of QuickBooks company file feature, you can open the QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery folder.
Note: Ensure that you check the company file location on the Product Information page and No company open window.
- After that, you need to access both the files; .TLG.adr and .QBW.adr.
- In case, you cannot find the file, you can go through the following steps.
- Use Windows + E keys so that you can view the File Explorer.
- Select Organize option here. Those who use Windows 10, 8.1 or 8 need to select the View option and then select the file name extension.
- Then, you can hide extensions for the known file types.
- In the end, you can Apply these actions and click on Ok to complete.
- As the next step, you can copy the .TLG.adr and .QBW.adr files and paste it to the folder you created as QBTest.
- Now you can remove .adr files from both the file names in the QBTest folder.
- The next step is to launch QuickBooks, open company files that you saved in the QBTest folder and verify the transactions.
- Now you can Run the verify utility to check the integrity of your company files.
- If the company files are fine, you can then move the damaged company file to a different location.
- In the end, transfer the copy from the QBTest to an original location.
If your QuickBooks company data has been lost, you can easily recover it using QuickBooks Auto Data Recovery tool. By following the above-mentioned solutions, you can get back your lost data securely.