The check register in QuickBooks works like a journal. It is useful for recording your company’s cash transactions as well as checks. In addition, the QuickBooks check register enables you to use it for various purposes like editing the transactions and finding out the dates of the payments. Not only can you create and access this journal in the QB program but in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop as well.
The check register, along with the splits details, can be printed for keeping a personal record. Sometimes, you may want to make another register as the default register and then print it. Interestingly, the file that you save for printing it can also be saved for exporting the check register in QuickBooks, QBO, and other versions, to Excel.
For certain requirements of your company, you can also print the check register reports in the software. To know how to print the check register in QuickBooks and do more, you can read the entire blog.
This blog carries several sections relating to the use, printing, running, exporting, and importing of the QB check register. These sections have been modified to provide you with different methods. These methods have been briefly shown here:
- What is a Check Register in QuickBooks?
- How to Use the Check Register in QuickBooks?
- How to Print Check Register in QuickBooks?
- Method 1: Print a Check Register in QuickBooks
- Method 2: Printing a Check Register in QuickBooks Online
- Method 3: Printing the QuickBooks Desktop Check Register
- How Do I Change the Default Check Register in QuickBooks?
- How to Export a Check Register from QuickBooks?
- Method 1: Export the Check Register in QuickBooks
- Method 2: Export the QuickBooks Check Register to Excel
- Method 3: Export the Check Register from Quickbooks Desktop to Excel
- How to Import Excel Into QuickBooks Check Register?
- How to Get the Check Register in QuickBooks?
- Method 1: Finding the QuickBooks Check Register
- Method 2: Locating the Check Register in QuickBooks Online
- How to Run a Check Register Report in QuickBooks?
What is a Check Register in QuickBooks?
The check register is a part of QuickBooks and is useful for a number of functions. The check register can also be looked at as a journal for cash disbursement. The cash transactions and checks will be recorded in this journal for a specific accounting period. Through the QuickBooks check register, transactions can be quickly tracked. It also helps in knowing your account’s transaction history. Overall, this is a part of the accounting software through which many important functions and tasks, relating to your company’s checks and transactions, can be executed.
How to Use the Check Register in QuickBooks?
The QuickBooks check register can be used for the following tasks or functions:
- It helps you to view and track your transactions like simple checks.
- The register enables you to identify where the payments come from.
- It is used for checking the current balance, account’s transaction history, etc.
- The check register in QuickBooks allows you to use filters for locating different types of transactions.
- For editing, voiding, and deleting any transaction, this feature of the software can be used.
- The reconciliation of the transactions, individual payments, etc., can be prepared and examined through this feature of the software.
How to Print Check Register in QuickBooks?
Check registers can be printed from the Edit menu given in QuickBooks. In certain versions of the accounting software, the Accounting or Lists menu helps in printing the register. The users are required to provide the dates for which the register needs to be printed. In the process, there will be an option of printing the Splits Details as well. This option can be chosen based on the preferences of the users.
There are 3 methods to find out how to print a check register in QuickBooks, QuickBooks Online, and QuickBooks Desktop. These methods have been properly discussed in the following parts.
Method 1: Print a Check Register in QuickBooks
You can print a check register in QuickBooks by opening the Edit menu. Go to Use Register and then access the dropdown option for Account. Once you have selected the account, you can input the dates for printing the register. Should you require the Splits Details as well, you can choose the option of printing them. Lastly, you only have to push the Print button.
- At the top, you will see “Edit”. Access this menu.
- Opt for “Use Register”.
- Using the dropdown for “Account”, pick an account.
- Select “Ok”.
- Write the date for which the register should be printed.
- You may select “Print Splits Details” only when required.
- Choose “Ok”.
- Tap on “Print”.
Method 2: Printing a Check Register in QuickBooks Online
For maintaining a personal record, certain users of QBO may need to print a check register. You will be advised to use the Accounting option for printing it. From Accounting, you can move to COA. The Chart of Accounts will enable you in picking your bank’s name. Subsequently, you can tap on View Register to look at it before printing it. Based on the dates for which the register is needed, you can establish the Date Range.
Let us now step-by-step brief you on how to print a check register in QuickBooks Online.
- From the menu on the left, select “Accounting”.
- Tap on “Chart of Accounts”.
- Selecting the name of your bank is the third step.
- Pick the option of “View Register”.
- Select the icon of “Funnel”.
- From the dropdown, pick a “Date Range”. The range should depend upon the period for which the records are required.
- Hit “Apply”.
- Click on the “Print List” icon.
Quick Note: You can print the check register in QuickBooks Online for a specific time period.
Method 3: Printing the QuickBooks Desktop Check Register
You may be using the QuickBooks Desktop version of the software. In it, the check register can be printed from the Lists option. In Lists, select COA. This is followed by choosing the QuickReport [Bank Account] option. You can add the dates and customize the report as per your choice. Soon, you will be able to start printing the register.
In QuickBooks Desktop, check registers can be printed using these instructions:
- Select “Lists” in “QB Desktop”.
- Open “Chart of Accounts”.
- Opt for “QuickReport: [Bank Account]” by right-clicking on your bank account.
- Make changes to the date.
- Tap on “Customize Report”.
- Select “Filters”.
- Choose “Transaction Type” from “Search Filters”.
- From the dropdown, use “Check”.
- Now, tap on “Ok”. The check register will start getting printed.
- Select the name of your bank.
- Click the “View Register” option.
- Then, click the “Funnel” icon to open the drop-down menu.
- Pick a “Date range” for the period that you wish to print.
- Hit the “Apply” button.
- Now, click on the “Print List” icon in order to print the check register.
This is how you can print the check register in QuickBooks Online. All you have to do is decide a time period to display results and get your prints.
How Do I Change the Default Check Register in QuickBooks?
For changing the default check register in the QB program, certain selections should be made. Firstly, the user is needed to choose one default account for creating as well as wiring the checks. Then a default account will work as a requisite for the paychecks. Succeeding this, for deposit and check, you can opt for one more default account. These selections can be made from the Edit menu as well as through the Settings icon.
The readers who are not well-familiar with QuickBooks may not know how to select the default accounts for the check register. The set of steps listed as follows will guide you in selecting them:
- For creating and writing the checks, a default account will be needed. To select it, click on “Edit”.
- Choose “Preferences”.
- Look for “Chequing”. Select it to continue.
- Pick the default account for the following:
- “Write Cheques”
- “Make Deposits”
- “Pay Bills”
- For the paychecks, the default account will have to be selected. To do so, open the “Edit” menu.
- Visit “Preferences”.
- Available on the left, “Checking” has to be clicked on.
- Switch to the “Company Preferences” tab.
- Move to the section of “Select Default Account to Use”.
- Press the dropdown for “Open the Create Paychecks Form with Account”.
- Ensure that the right account is being selected.
- Tap on “Ok”.
- For checks, as well as the deposits, the default account can be picked. Via the QuickBooks “Gear” icon, you can pick it. Press it once.
Tip: Certain users may need help in knowing the location of the “Gear” icon in QB. Here, you can see where is the “Gear” icon in QuickBooks.
- Go to “Account and Settings”.
- Click on “Advanced”.
- Place a checkmark for “Pre-fill Forms with Previously Entered Content”.
- Head to the section named “Automation”.
- Hit “Save”.
- Click on “Done”.
This method would have helped you know how to change the default check register in QuickBooks. It is a long method. However, for changing the default check register in the QB program for different purposes, this method will supply you with all the steps. We will suggest that you do not miss any of these steps.
How to Export a Check Register from QuickBooks?
In QuickBooks, to export check registers, the dashboard of the software is what you need to view. You can choose to print a specific register. In doing so, you will be able to save a file for printing the register. This file can be used for exporting the data of the QB check register.
In the following subsections, we have explained more about exporting the check registers from QuickBooks. In addition, you will be able to learn how to export the check register to Excel in QuickBooks and QB Desktop.
Method 1: Export the Check Register in QuickBooks
You may know that the dashboard of the QuickBooks program has several options. It will also show Banking. This option will enable you in exporting the check register. You can click on Banking to reach Edit. This will direct you to a dropdown from where the Use Registers option needs to be selected. Then you can decide which check register has to be exported. Next to this, continue administering the remaining steps.
The remaining steps of this method can be explored by scrolling further.
- Sign in to the “Dashboard” of “QB”.
- Tap on the tab that mentions “Banking”.
- Hit “Edit”.
- Via the dropdown, visit “Use Registers”.
- You will find a list. The list will mention multiple check registers. You can read the list and pick a check register to continue exporting it.
- Press “Ok”.
- From the tab for “Print”, click on “Date Range”. The range has to be entered for which the register is needed.
- In the dialog box, tap on “Ok”.
- Choose “File”. This option will be given in “Settings”.
- Certain options will be listed. You can pick one of them. These options will include:
- “Comma Delimited File”
- “ASCII Text File”
- “Tab Delimited File”.
Quick Note: The format “Comma Delimited File” should be preferred for simply exporting the register.
- Select a location. The “Browse” option can be of help for this purpose.
- Visit the selected location and press “Save”.
Method 2: Export the QuickBooks Check Register to Excel
You may want to export the QB check register to Excel for a particular purpose. We will suggest that you use the option of Reports. Then you can pick Memorized Reports and opt for Company. Now, on the Toolbar, you will see Excel. Select it and then choose to create a new worksheet.
In QuickBooks, to export the check register to Excel, you will need the remaining directions too. You can find them below:
- Begin by opting for “Reports”.
- Prefer selecting the option of “Memorized Reports” in the second step.
- Select “Company”.
- Tap on “Excel”. This option will be found on “Toolbar”.
- Click on “Create New Worksheet”.
- Press “Ok” to start the process to export.
Method 3: Export the Check Register from Quickbooks Desktop to Excel
The users of QuickBooks Desktop can export the check registers to Excel for particular dates. By exporting it, the register can be formatted in a preferred way by the users. Below, you can find an overview of this method.
Begin by looking for the menu of Reports in the software. This will show the Memorize Reports option. After this, choose Company and then pick the Balance Sheet. The Toolbar will present you with the Excel option. Since you wish to export the QB Desktop check register to Excel, choosing this option will be required.
To know what you have to do afterward, these 7 steps should be read:
- Initially, you are required to open the “Reports” menu.
- Go to the “Memorize Reports” option.
- Select “Company”.
- Click on the option of “Balance Sheet”.
- View the toolbar. You will see the “Excel” option. Select it.
- Tap on “Create New Worksheet”.
- Push “Ok”.
Quick Note: A dropdown option will be available. It can be used for selecting a suitable file format. When the check register is exported from this accounting software to Excel, the selected format will be used. Also, it will be useful to learn that QuickBooks Desktop gives you the option of using certain filters. Through these filters, the date range can be set. Based on the set range, your data will get exported to Excel from QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Import Excel Into QuickBooks Check Register?
There may be instances when you want to import the check transactions into your QuickBooks Desktop. This can be done by using CSV or an Excel file. To import Excel into QuickBooks check register, you can do the following:
- Click on the “Accountant” option.
- Then, choose the “Batch Enter Transactions” option.
- Select the “Checks” button using the “Transaction Type” drop-down.
- Select your credit or bank account.
- Now, open the spreadsheet and customize the columns in QuickBooks papers. Alternatively, you can click the “Customize” button to rearrange the columns so that they can match with your file.
- Here, you can copy-paste your transaction from the excel file or spreadsheet to QuickBooks.
- Hit the “Save Transaction” button.
- Click the “Yes” button.
- Hit the “OK” button.
By following these steps, you can easily import transactions to your QuickBooks account by using an Excel file.
How to Get the Check Register in QuickBooks?
Unlike many options in QuickBooks, the check register may not be viewed right after opening the software. You will have to find it. For finding it, the View Register option will be very helpful. Using the same option, you can know how to find the check register in QuickBooks Online too.
To get the check register using the mentioned option, let us now go through the details. These details have been supplied in the methods given below.
Method 1: Finding the QuickBooks Check Register
The QuickBooks check register can be viewed with the help of the View Register option. This option can be found using the Chart of Accounts. To get to COA, you should consider clicking on Accounting in the QuickBooks panel. When the check register has been found, you can examine it, check your transactions, import it, and do a lot more.
- Look at the panel on the left in the accounting software.
- From the panel, head to “Accounting”.
- The “COA” tab has to be selected now.
- Via “Chart of Accounts”, reach your account.
- You will see a dropdown. Press the arrow on it.
- Now, the “View Register” option has to be chosen.
This option will help you in viewing the check register. In case you have prepared multiple registers in QuickBooks, then you can view them one by one.
Method 2: Locating the Check Register in QuickBooks Online
This section covers how to get the check register in QuickBooks Online. In this accounting version, locating the register can be done in a similar way as that of QuickBooks.
To begin, you have to press the button labeled Accounting. After this, you have to view the Gear icon of QBO. On pressing this icon, the Chart of Accounts will be made available. It will carry an option for viewing the register. As you click on it, the check register will be located. You may wish to sort the register. You can choose to sort it on the basis of Reference Number. Additionally, it can be sorted through Date and Amount.
- In the first step, press the “Accounting” button.
- Use the “Gear” symbol to visit “COA” or “Chart of Accounts”.
- After finding your account, press “View Register”.
- Sort the check register on the basis of “Reference Number”, “Date”, or “Amount”.
How to Run a Check Register Report in QuickBooks?
The check register report can be required for purposes relating to your business. You can run this report after locating the register. By making use of the Chart of Accounts, you can easily locate the QB check register and then you can run the report for it. Those of you who are using QuickBooks Desktop are also provided with the option to run the check register report.
The check register report in QuickBooks and QB Desktop can be run when you are equipped with the complete method. As you read ahead, you will come across 2 methods. The methods will provide you with the necessary steps to access the register and run the report.
Method 1: Run a QuickBooks Check Register Report
Companies maintain important data in check registers in the QB software. The reports of these registers are equally important. You can view and access them from the Chart of Accounts/COA. Using this feature, you will be able to find a dropdown. Then press the dropdown and choose the View Register option. You can now run the report. For making any additions, you can make use of the Customize option.
Here, we have shown all the steps for running the check register reports in QuickBooks:
- You will see “Accounting” on the left. Pick this option.
- In “COA” or “Chart of Accounts”, click on a checking account.
- Press the dropdown and opt for “View Register”.
- Now, choose “Run Report”.
- Press “Customize” only to make certain changes in the report. You may skip this option if not needed.
Quick Note: The “Customize” feature enables you to make different types of changes to the QB check register report. You can not only make additions but edits as well.
Method 2: Running a QuickBooks Desktop Check Register Report
The check register in QuickBooks Desktop can be run via the Accounting option. This option can be found right after launching the software. Use this option to visit the tab for Chart of Accounts (COA). Through the tab, the checking account can be looked for. Now, you have to find Action and press the dropdown available below it. The dropdown will carry the View Register option. Select it and then tap on Run Report.
- Running “QuickBooks Desktop” is the beginning step.
- Open the tab for “Accounting”.
- Click on the tab that mentions “Chart of Accounts”.
- From this tab, start finding the checking account.
- Look below “Action”. You will find a dropdown. Press it.
- Choose “View Register”.
- Press the button for “Run Report”.
Quick Note: Towards the right, you may find the “Customize” button in QuickBooks Desktop. This button can be used when any information needs to be included in or excluded from the QuickBooks Desktop check register.
On the Whole,
In QuickBooks, the check register works as an important journal using which many transactions can be recorded. The users of the accounting software have shared that for maintaining the checks and cash transactions too, this register has been of excellent use. To assist our readers in learning in detail about the check registers in QB, we covered multiple sections in this blog. These sections guided you in finding this journal. You were also educated about printing, exporting, and running the reports for the check register. After knowing so much about this feature, using it will be a smooth experience.
You can share your review for this blog. The comment section displayed below will be of help for posting it.
As you start using various features of QuickBooks, some errors may come in your way. These errors can be fixed with the reliable fixes we have for you. With us, you can see how to rectify the QuickBooks event ID 4 error. We can also accompany you in troubleshooting the QuickBooks 108 error.