HP printers that are misaligned may be unable to correctly print documents. Your printing device can display failed alignment errors when its ink cartridges are not genuine. Sometimes, the printhead of your machine may not be clean. This is likely to be the reason behind the HP printer alignment failed problem. For fixing it, you should ensure that the printhead is clean and devoid of extra ink around the nozzle area. In addition, the ink cartridges of your device should be original and the ones recommended by HP.
We have suggested more such fixes here. You can scroll further to read them.
The contents of this blog have been listed here. To quickly reach one of the following sections, you can tap on it.
- Why My HP Printer Alignment Keeps Failing?
- How to Fix the HP Printer Alignment Failed Error?
- Fix 1: Reset Your HP Printer
- Fix 2: Prefer Using Original HP Ink Cartridges
- Fix 3: Review HP Printer Alignment Page
- Fix 4: Check Your HP Printer’s Ink Levels
- Fix 5: Manually Clean HP Printer’s Printhead
- Fix 6: Auto-clean the Printhead of HP Printer
- Fix 7: Remove Paper Bits from Your HP Printer
Why My HP Printer Alignment Keeps Failing?
HP Envy, HP Deskjet, or HP PhotoSmart Printer alignment failed error can show problems with printing. To resolve the problem, you should first identify the causes leading to it. As you keep reading, you will be able to know the major causes of the alignment failure error.
- Bits of paper may be stuck in some part of your printer.
- The ink cartridges may be faulty, damaged, or not genuine.
- You may not have correctly installed the ink cartridges in your device.
- It may have become misaligned when multiple pages have been printed using it.
- Any physical damages to your HP printer can also result in such a problem.
- The printhead of your HP machine may have been clogged due to additional ink around it.
How to Fix the HP Printer Alignment Failed Error?
HP printer alignment problems can be repaired by resetting your device. By simply turning it off and on, the alignment may get corrected. You should also check that your device comprises genuine ink cartridges. If not, then you can replace them. Also, see to it that the ink cartridges of your HP printer are not empty. At times, a clogged printhead can also cause alignment failure. So, the printhead can be manually or automatically cleaned for restoring its condition. After these fixes have been applied, the alignment should get better.
Fix 1: Reset Your HP Printer
When you see the HP printer alignment failed error, the cause behind it may be major or minor. Assuming that the cause is a minor one, resetting your printer will be suggested. Resetting the device requires you to turn it off and on in a specific way. The process will be initiated by keeping your device on and detaching the power cable. After it gets reset, the alignment-related failure should vanish.
Let us see the directions to reset your device in detail.
- Keep your HP device on.
- At the back of the device, the power cable’s end will be seen. Remove it.
- View the power source. Remove the other end of this power cable from it.
- Leave the printing machine for a minute.
- The power cable has to be connected again.
- Your printer should be on now and may no longer show the alignment failed problem.
Note: To check that the alignment has been repaired now, you can prefer printing a test page. The page should get printed as usual when no failures remain.
Fix 2: Prefer Using Original HP Ink Cartridges
According to HP, the alignment of their printers can keep failing due to the ink cartridges. To be clearer, not using original ink cartridges can be the factor responsible for this. For fixing the HP printer alignment keeps failing error, the ink cartridges should be genuine and suitable for your device. In addition, even the toner should be of original quality.
Note: It should be understood that using original cartridges for your HP printer can be beneficial in two ways. Firstly, it will prevent the alignment failure problem. Secondly, it will come with a guarantee. Thus, when any problem is observed in the ink cartridges, you will be able to get them replaced or repaired at no cost.
To find out that the original cartridges have been installed in your device, their authenticity should be checked. Below, we have shown how the same can be ensured:
- Take the box for the toner cartridge of your HP printer.
- Look for a “QR Code” on the box.
- Scan the “QR Code” to know whether the cartridge is original.
- Then use the link for “HP Anti-counterfeit Page”. This page will provide you with additional information regarding the cartridges.
Fix 3: Review HP Printer Alignment Page
Checking the HP alignment page can help you identify whether there are any problems visible in it. The printed information on the page should be visibly clear. If the information appears faded on the page, then the alignment may not be correct. Also, any streaks in the information can give a stronger indication that the alignment is not appropriate.
As a resolving measure for this fix, the alignment should be corrected. To do this, the following tips can be of use:
- Prefer loading the right type of printing paper in your printer’s input tray.
- Ensure your device’s printhead isn’t clogged.
- The ink levels of your device’s cartridge should not be low.
- The printed alignment page should be of good quality. It should not carry faded ink traces.
Fix 4: Check Your HP Printer’s Ink Levels
Your HP printer can display alignment problems when the ink levels are too low. Some of you may be frequently using your HP printer. In that case, the ink is likely to get used in less time. Checking the ink levels and getting the cartridges refilled on time can be a fix for the alignment problems. To check them you can use the Tool option on your printer. After this, Printer/Supply Levels can be selected. This option will assist you in seeing the estimated levels of ink in your HP printer.
- On your HP machine, open “Tool”.
- Select “Printer/Supply Levels”.
- Now, the estimated ink levels can be viewed by you.
- Should the ink levels seem low, get the cartridges refilled.
Note: The Windows 10 users can take the assistance of the “HP Smart Application“. iOS and Android devices are also supportive of this application. Using this, the ink levels of your HP printer can be quickly viewed.
Once the ink levels seem sufficient, the HP printer alignment problem shall stop getting displayed.
Fix 5: Manually Clean HP Printer’s Printhead
The printhead of your HP printer is required for performing printing functions. As you start noticing alignment problems on the device, you may doubt that the printhead is not in good condition. It may have been affected by dirt or additional ink. Manually cleaning it can work as a fix for dealing with the alignment problems.
The printhead of HP printers can be manually cleaned. You can take out this part and use wet paper towels for cleaning it. Once the printhead has been restored to a suitable condition, it can be dried. After this, it can be placed back into your device.
Below, you can learn more about how to fix printer alignment on HP by manually cleaning its printhead.
- Get a container that is disposable.
- Ensure that you have a piece of rough cloth and some paper towels.
- Distilled water will also be needed. Check that it is lukewarm.
- In the container, add the distilled water.
- The paper towels have to be soaked in the container. The water should be enough to soak it up to 2 inches.
- Locate “Printhead”.
- Press “Tab”. Then remove “Ink Cartridges”.
- Each of the cartridges has to be kept upside-down on the wet paper towels.
Note: See to it that the device’s ink cartridges are not exposed for long. 30 minutes is how long it will be ideal to expose them.
- Lift the latch of “Printhead”.
- Remove “Printhead” and slowly lift it out.
- The rough cloth has to be dipped in the distilled water.
- Check for extra ink on this part and start wiping it with the cloth.
Note: The nozzle area should not be pressed or squeezed. Doing so can expose the printhead to the water.
- Keep “Printhead” facing downwards in the container.
- Ensure that the nozzle is head-resting on the paper towels.
- Take out “Printhead” after 10 minutes.
- When this part becomes dry, the nozzle area has to be kept upward-facing. They can be kept on dry paper towels.
- Now, “Printhead” has to be placed back into your device.
- The position of the cartridges has to be corrected.
- Press “Tab” on the cartridges.
- After installing the cartridges, close the device’s cover.
- Turn off your HP printer and start it again.
- Now, check for the HP alignment problem.
Note: Even when the printhead of your device is no longer in warranty, it can be manually cleaned using these steps. The alignment-related issues may not emerge after this.
Fix 6: Auto-clean the Printhead of HP Printer
The users who report that their HP printers won’t align in the correct way are suggested to auto-clean its printhead. It can be automatically cleaned from the Control Panel. You can push the Setup button to enter its menu. From this menu, the Tools menu can be opened. Now, choose the option that states Clean Printhead. After this, you can start printing a test page and check whether auto-cleaning the printhead has been successful. Following this, you have to ensure that the alignment problem is not being observed.
- Add printing paper in “Input Tray” of your device.
Note: The printing paper should be suitable as per your HP printer. The manual of the device can be checked for finding out the correct size, dimensions, and quality of sheets that can be inserted in its tray.
- Locate your machine’s “Control Panel”.
- Press “Setup”.
- Using “Setup Menu”, select “Tools”.
- Tap on “Clean Printhead”.
- Push the “Ok” button.
- Soon, a process for cleaning the printhead of your HP printing machine shall begin. Wait till the process cleans this part.
- Now, a test page has to be printed.
- View the test page and check for anything unlikely on it. Ensure that it has no faded ink or unclear patterns.
- In case the test page is not as per your expectations, the printhead has to be cleaned one more time.
- Following this, the test page can be printed and examined again.
Note: The printhead of your HP printer can be cleaned several times. For as long as the results are not satisfactory, you can keep cleaning the printhead.
Fix 7: Remove Paper Bits from Your HP Printer
Bits of paper can get jammed into your HP printer. They can interfere with several operations of your device. You may begin to notice problems with alignment as well. The jammed paper should be immediately removed to repair the alignment.
Below, we have explained how to fix the printer alignment on HP when such problems are emerging.
- Check the exterior parts of your HP printer.
- Open your device’s cover and inspect the parts inside.
- When any jammed paper has been found, be very gentle in removing it.
- If no jammed paper has been found, then look for debris and remove it.
- Note that any parts removed or cover detached during the process should be placed back.
HP Printer Models Compatible with the Above-mentioned Fixes
The HP OfficeJet alignment failed issue can occur on multiple models. Certain models of this series have been provided here. On these models, our fixes can be used for correcting the alignment failure issues:
|HP OfficeJet 3830 Printer||HP OfficeJet 4500 Printer||HP OfficeJet 4630 Printer||HP OfficeJet 6500 Printer||HP OfficeJet 6500A Printer|
|HP OfficeJet 7500A Printer||HP OfficeJet 7510 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro L7580 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro L7590 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro L7680 Printer|
|HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8100 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909A Printer|
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A A910 Printer||HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Printer|
The users of HP PhotoSmart Printers often witness alignment errors. We have mentioned multiple fixes in this blog. These fixes can be applied to several models of this series. These models can be found in the following table:
|HP PhotoSmart B210 Printer||HP PhotoSmart C309A Printer||HP PhotoSmart Premium C310 Printer||HP PhotoSmart C410 Printer|
|HP PhotoSmart C4180 Printer||HP PhotoSmart C4280 Printer||HP PhotoSmart C5280 Printer||HP PhotoSmart C6180 Printer|
|HP PhotoSmart C6380 Printer||HP PhotoSmart D110 Printer||HP PhotoSmart 5510 Printer||HP PhotoSmart 6510 Printer|
|HP PhotoSmart 7510 Printer||HP PhotoSmart 7515 Printer||HP PhotoSmart 7520 Printer|
HP Envy Printers are not an exception to problems relating to incorrect or faulty alignment. In the table shown as follows, you can find various models of the Envy series. You can implement our fixes to these models to troubleshoot the HP alignment failed error on the series.
|HP Envy 100 Printer||HP Envy 110 Printer||HP Envy 4500 Printer||HP Envy 4520 Printer|
|HP Envy 5530 Printer||HP Envy 7155 Printer||HP Envy 7640 Printer|
For those of you who are using an HP DeskJet Printer, the alignment issues can be corrected using the fixes that we have given in this blog. The models on which these fixes can be used are displayed below:
|HP DeskJet 1000 Printer||HP DeskJet 1000 J110 Printer||HP DeskJet 1010 Printer||HP DeskJet 1050 Printer|
|HP DeskJet 1050 J410 Printer||HP DeskJet 1510 Printer||HP DeskJet 2050 Printer||HP DeskJet 2130 Printer|
|HP DeskJet 2540 Printer||HP DeskJet 2600 Printer||HP DeskJet 2620 Printer||HP DeskJet 3050 Printer|
|HP DeskJet 3630 Printer||HP DeskJet 3700 Printer||HP DeskJet 3755 Printer||HP DeskJet F4400 Printer|
|HP DeskJet F4480 Printer|
On different HP LaserJet and HP Color LaserJet Printers, our fixes can help in resolving the alignment failure. Let us look at the models of the series that remain compatible with these fixes.
|HP LaserJet P2035 Printer||HP LaserJet 3050 Printer||HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Printer||HP Color LaserJet 1518NI Printer||HP Color LaserJet 2025 Printer|
|HP Color LaserJet 2550 Printer||HP Color LaserJet 2600N Printer||HP Color LaserJet 2605DN Printer||HP Color LaserJet 2840 Printer|
On these models of HP DesignJet Printers, you can try using our fixes for clearing the alignment errors:
|HP DesignJet 110 Printer||HP DesignJet 111 Printer||HP DesignJet 500 Printer|
The correct alignment of your HP printer is vital for properly printing your documents. As misalignment emerges, your documents may appear faded, blurry, or unclear. To resolve such a problem, keeping your device free from jammed paper and debris will be ideal. Also, from time to time, you should keep checking that your device is not physically damaged. When the HP printer failed alignment issue comes up, always reset the machine. After this, you can properly inspect your device and remove the causes of the error. Assuredly, this post would have been of help for fixing the alignment problems. If so, then you can prefer giving this blog a suitable rating below.
Alignment failure issue on HP is common to occur but it is not the only error you can see. Sometimes, errors like HP printer not responding can also occur.
The HP printer site was not helpful, but I followed your instructions and now it is working again! Thank you, I did not want to have to buy a new printer!